Two Swedish Flower Hen cockerels to re-home (Seattle area)

sarinar

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013

I adopted these two Swedish Flower Hen chicks at about 5 weeks old (above photo taken 6/7/13), but within a few days of bringing them home and reading up on the SFH, I realized they were most likely not the pullets they'd been advertised as. Because I live in the city, I can't keep roosters, and I'd like to give them a chance at a life with someone who keeps SFH or just has room for roosters before resigning to culling them. They're such buddies, so ideally they would both go to the same home.

They're about 7 weeks old now, very healthy, and given fermented feed. They're very sweet, can be picked up (orange is a little more skittish about it), and love to follow me around the yard. Though the SFH are reputed to be wide-ranging foragers, these two are still a little timid about straying too far from their coop/run unless giving chase to a fly. They do everything as a duo, and at night they put themselves in their coop and are usually snuggled up together. Their feathers seem to change rapidly; lately the mostly grey/white bird is starting to get a few rusty gold feathers in his wings, and the mostly orange/white bird is getting a little more grey around his neck. I don't have much more information than this, but if you'd like additional photos or have questions, PM me or email me: parkranger at gmail dot com.

For the right home, I'd be willing to drive up to about 50 miles outside of Seattle for the cost of gas (about $15).

(This last photo was my poor attempt to show the rusty orange feathers coming in on the grey chick's wings.)

or you could keep them 10 more weeks and use them for what they were intended; to be eaten. i am guessing that you can't keep roosters because of the crowing.

Seattle only allows 8 hens; no roosters. Because of past experiences with neighbors who called the cops on me (and then were incredibly apologetic when they realized what idiots they'd been), I don't think I could get away with keeping roosters once they start to crow. And though I have no problem with raising chickens for meat, they're such a rare breed, so I thought I'd first see if someone was interested in taking them to breed before I kill them.

Back
Top Bottom