Two unrelated ducks co-nested, 9 of 15 eggs hatched!!

What will happen next?

• The two female ducks continue to co-parent happily

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • The other female ducks decides she wants to be a mama too

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • One female claims the ducklings and becomes aggressive towards the other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duck Diva

Songster
Jan 30, 2019
6989AA42-89C3-4D0F-A998-1DB8B23C5F6A.jpeg
I thought this situation was strange, but I didn’t post about it because I thought nothing would come of it. Our Ancona female, Pepper, has attempted to hatch eggs two years in a row with a large clutch no live ducklings.

Sooooooo, this year we have two new (year old) Silver Appleyard females. On Mother’s Day, one of them (Apple) started sitting on a community egg pile. Shame on us, we’d only been removing eggs from the three laying females once per week. Several days passed with her sitting and only occasionally going out to play. At one point, we took the eggs away with the intent of destroying them.

However, my budding scientist son convinced me to candle the eggs to make sure we weren’t killing any viable ducklings. To our surprise, 15 of 18 showed potential signs of life! We put the eggs back and Apple immediately resumed sitting.

One day while she was off the nest, the Ancona female (Pepper) decided to start sitting on the same clutch of 15 eggs. When Apple returned, Pepper left without incident. Fast forward a few weeks: they sit side by side all day, sometimes they both have eggs under them (inside the “nest” and outside, right next to it). Sometimes one of them sits on all the eggs while the other takes a break.

Yes, apparently they’d been peacefully moving eggs back and forth on a regular basis. Then on June 2, the peeping began…

I approached the coop to give the moms some treats and heard it. I saw the telltale inside-out papery shell only a hatchling leaves behind. The eggs were in disarray, so I opened the top of the coop for a better look.

Pepper is standing up on the nest, furious, feathers ruffled and ready to fight, but I can see two eggs and two ducklings beneath her! All the while Apple is sitting placidly on a few remaining eggs (I can’t see how many at this point).

Both babies were mostly black (brown/gray?) with lighter colored throats and bellies. Both had light markings near their eyes. Both healthy and adorable as can be! My son and I gathered up the errant eggs and placed them back under the mamas. The females were sitting so close together they were touching, and the ducklings ran back and forth between their four legs.🥰🥹 🐥

The following morning, two more ducklings! These two looked nothing like their older siblings. Both were predominantly yellow with darker stripes running do then their heads and necks. Both have darker feathers in the tail area and all have be characteristic Ancona spotting on their bills and feet.

On the afternoon of the 3rd, two more ducklings! Both are the predominantly black color seen on the first two hatchlings. The moms are still sharing and cooperating, although there seems to be more quacking at each other. The moms have not yet led the babies out of the coop.

On the morning of the 4th, all ducks (moms, dad, aunt and six babies) emerge from the coop as soon as the door is opened! It’s a rainy day (tropical storm, in fact), so we humans huddle inside and watch the adorable scene unfold as baby ducklings experience rain, foraging, and puddles for the first time!

I waited for the rain to let up, to clear the unhatched eggs from the coop and freshen up their water. To my horror, three more eggs had hatched very recently, but had been left behind by the others! One hatchling was clearly dead, and the other two were cold and barely clinging to life. One still had most of its shell and yolk sac attached, and was bleeding quite badly.

I rushed the two live duckings into the house in a towel and held them against my body until our incubator reached the proper temperature. In they went, and remained in critical condition for the next 24 hours. To be continued…

0A75E386-BEA6-4309-BFE1-0D8713A19AC3.jpeg
000394CB-88A3-4A27-8F5F-EAFC7E8BB34F.jpeg
84C734B6-9EB0-4F58-A74D-F8CB955BB5D6.jpeg
472D7747-7638-4531-B8E4-57DDB423882B.jpeg
2833C544-F684-4133-AF82-96ED822B631E.jpeg

I just posted about this! I've NEVER had this happen and am worried ducklings will be hurt or abandoned. Yours are very cute!
So am I! Deathly afraid, I run to the window any time I hear a duck quack. So far, no violence and no warning signs of abandonment. We had to leave town for over a week, and we’re headed back tomorrow. I’ll post more when I see the situation with my own eyes. Reports from home indicate all is well.

So am I! Deathly afraid, I run to the window any time I hear a duck quack. So far, no violence and no warning signs of abandonment. We had to leave town for over a week, and we’re headed back tomorrow. I’ll post more when I see the situation with my own eyes. Reports from home indicate all is well.
Update??? They are precious, hope all is well

The long awaited update to the Co-Nesting post:

First and most exciting: ALL EIGHT ducklings survived and are thriving! My father in law took care of the two smallest and weakest (indoors and under a warmer) from the time they were 24 hours old (June 5) to June 7. On June 7, I recommended he put the two smaller ducklings in the coop while the others were all outside. It worked!

The little ones began crying and mama duck came running to their rescue! Thank goodness ducks can't count, eh? Later that day, my father in law reported that mama was leading eight baby ducks around the backyard, although he still thought the two ducklings were significantly smaller than the others.

That brings me to the next development. I used the singular "mama" above because once the first six eggs had hatched, the older (Ancona) female essentially claimed the ducklings as her own and began reacting angrily, loudly, and sometimes violently against the other nest mama when she attempted mothering duties.

At some point during the first day outside the coop, the two mamas had a violent physical altercation which left one of them bloody! For the next day and a half, there was a LOT of loud quacking back and forth between them, chasing and biting each other, until the younger female finally backed down.

Most ironic (in my opinion) is that the older (Ancona) female is clearly not a biological parent of any of the ducklings. Purebred Ancona have very distinctive markings from the time they hatch, but none of this brood did.

This is the strangest thing to me: they all sleep in the same coop at night, peacefully. I realize this situation is FAR from ideal and even dangerous in most cases. With us having a surprise brood before leaving town for over a week, there was no time to pull anything else together!

When we returned home, we found all adult ducks and babies happy and healthy. I couldn't tell which two were the late hatchers (who spent their first three days of life indoors)! I had posted them for adoption on Craigslist and very quickly had a handful of promising responses. Four of them (three brown, one yellow) went to a new home late last week.

Now there are four left (three brown, one yellow), all of whom need loving homes as well! If you know anyone in South Florida searching for some adorable ducklings, please see my post on this site. Please enjoy these pictures, and I hope my co-nesting story has taught you something you didn't know (or at least entertained you)!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...able-now-south-florida.1534601/#post-25880868

00v0v_aF1svmfw1P0z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
01717_lGbTnkkd5TCz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom