Two week old Chick with two sores

clkcdavis

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
I noticed the sore on the side of the head a few days ago. It was a lot smaller and looked like it was an area that had been pecked. Today I noticed the sore above the eye. Does anyone know what these are or how to treat them?

chick2.jpg chick1.jpg

Fowl Pox. It's a virus transmitted by mosquitoe bites. It normally runs it's coarse over a few weeks, or so, & the bird(s) will be immune to it.

Fowl Pox. It's a virus transmitted by mosquitoe bites. It normally runs it's coarse over a few weeks, or so, & the bird(s) will be immune to it.
Thank you for responding. The baby is already separated from my main coop with four other chicks and mom. I guess it's possible the virus will spread to those birds? Do I need to do anything or just let it run it's course?

Thank you for responding. The baby is already separated from my main coop with four other chicks and mom. I guess it's possible the virus will spread to those birds? Do I need to do anything or just let it run it's course?
The other's will get infected with the virus if they interact the scabs/sores, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. They'd be immune after the virus runs it's coarse also.

Do not mess with the welts. They'll diminish on their own over time. Only time you'd have to do anything really if it's the Wet Form of Fowl Pox. This chick has Dry Fowl Pox.

I noticed the sore on the side of the head a few days ago. It was a lot smaller and looked like it was an area that had been pecked. Today I noticed the sore above the eye. Does anyone know what these are or how to treat them?

View attachment 3682560View attachment 3682552

I agree, it looks like Dry Form of Fowl Pox at this time.
The virus is spread mainly by mosquitoes.
Keep the water stations cleaned. If you wish you can sanitize the water to help reduce spread, but usually the virus will run its course over several weeks unless you run into complications.

Here's a good article about Fowl Pox that you may find helpful.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom