Tylan 50 for ducks?---**UPDATE**---

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
Ok so my dumb stupid idiot of a dog attacked my duck today. There is a pretty severe gash/hole at the base of the neck. I flushed it with water, then some peroxide, then let cool water run through it again. I cut away as many of the excess feathers I could. Question is what else can I do? Antibiotics? Can I use Tylan 50?

Last edited:
Its ok...Talked to my vet. She is going to give me some anti biotics for her. Dumb Dumb Dumb dog

Tylan is mainly for bacterial infections internally. I would get a topical antibiotic for the wound and apply it directly. Something as simple as Neosporin will work wonders of helping the healing process.
All the "poultry " antibiotics are really based to treat specific bacterial infections, not really good for wounds.
Peroxide, and iodine will help too to clean and sterilize the hole

Quote:
its a pretty big hole. Not sure if it would be a good idea to put sticky goopy stuff on it. Wouldn't that collect dirt?

Quote:
its a pretty big hole. Not sure if it would be a good idea to put sticky goopy stuff on it. Wouldn't that collect dirt?

it's going to get dirty anyway, best to have an antibiotic cream in there with it. That's also why you need to flush it daily with the peroxide, to clean all the debris out . If possible, put them on a concrete floor til healed up to minimize dirt and all. If they have access to dirt, you know they are going to take at least 1 dirt bath a day.

As for the Baytril, that is a great one, but it is very strong and can be over dosed in poultry as it's intended for large livestock, and very rare that a vet will give it to you for poultry, mine's a buddy of mine, and he still wont let me have any. If you have one that will, that's great, it's good for all kinds of stuff just watch the dosage.

Quote:

it's going to get dirty anyway, best to have an antibiotic cream in there with it. That's also why you need to flush it daily with the peroxide, to clean all the debris out . If possible, put them on a concrete floor til healed up to minimize dirt and all. If they have access to dirt, you know they are going to take at least 1 dirt bath a day.

As for the Baytril, that is a great one, but it is very strong and can be over dosed in poultry as it's intended for large livestock, and very rare that a vet will give it to you for poultry, mine's a buddy of mine, and he still wont let me have any. If you have one that will, that's great, it's good for all kinds of stuff just watch the dosage.

She is in a dog kennel in the shop. She won't eat though. She is really fiesty. She tried to run off with her buddies while I was cleaning her up today. Any suggestions on what I can try and feed her? She won't take her pellets, corn, or cat food. I figured for sure she would take the cat food.

being on her neck, she may be to sore to eat. They usually heal pretty fast though, so no major concerns there yet. Give her a couple days and see what she does. If not eating then, you may have to force a little in. Egg in a syringe is about the easiest to do that with.
Keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom