Tylan Dose Calculation

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
I have a hen that has gurgly breathing and needs some Tylan. I have the kind that comes in a white powder that says it's for chicken, turkey, swine and honeybees. I'm trying to figure out how much I need to give my hen and if I need to prepare fresh antibiotic everyday.

One way I could do it is to give x amount in 1 gallon of water. However, she is not going to drink a whole gallon of water everyday. Does Tylan need to be mixed fresh everyday?

The other way I was considering was to go pharmacist on her...meaning weigh her, and calculate how much she needs as a personal dose (the container says 50mg per pound of bird everyday) and place that in a smaller amount of water.

So first of all, what is the dosage of this Tylan? I believe it's Tylan 50 but it doesn't say anywhere on the container. Can Tylan be mixed and used the next day? And have any of you tried the personalized dosage thing? I have an extremely accurate gram scale so I'm just considering doing it that way...even though it's a bit more work.

Last edited:
Tylan soluable dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, treat for 2-5 days. There is a 24 hour withdrawal for slaughter.
You have to add the water to the tylan, not the tylan to the water. It's best to use it the entire 5 days. ETA: It's best to make a fresh batch daily to keep it fresh and effective.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom