Ugh! New chicken mama with a wounded chicken

A 1 time flushing of Hydrogen Peroxide can be helpful.
Continued use can cause tissue damage.

Wound looks pretty straight forward. Keep it clean, apply your ointment. I would not cover unless she's picking at it.

If you think it's from the rooster, then he may need a spur or nail trim/filing, so check him out to see if he needs a manicure. It's not uncommon for a spur or nail to cut a hen accidentally.
I had no idea!I will you tube that one- I noticed that he stands on them after he’s done the duty- thank you!

Thanks everyone! I found online the directions to use peroxide and did it then read later in other strings not to- we will see what happens. I will continue the triple antibiotic daily- right now she is in a wire crate in my bathroom. Kind of a side note- I have 30 chickens and the rooster seems to really pick on her and one other.. would you say he’s got to go? He’s tries to go ninja on me often.

thanks everyone!!
Invite him to dinner! Mean roosters are the tastiest.

In case you want to keep him: give him a thorough rooster pedicure trimming back his spurs and claws, then filing them until there will be no sharp edges left and their shape is rouded.

But be aware that the spurs will get pointy and sharp again as the rooster is walking, because they will touch and thus automatically sharpen again with every step he takes. So keep an eye on it and be ready to trim/file on a regular basis.

A 1 time flushing of Hydrogen Peroxide can be helpful.
Continued use can cause tissue damage.

Wound looks pretty straight forward. Keep it clean, apply your ointment. I would not cover unless she's picking at it.

If you think it's from the rooster, then he may need a spur or nail trim/filing, so check him out to see if he needs a manicure. It's not uncommon for a spur or nail to cut a hen accidentally.
I've used it as a once a day cleanser for minor wounds, & scalpings. Wounds healed up fine. I also used Triple Antibiotic ointment as a form of moisture, & fly deterrent.

I would not consider this a normal behaviour. Does he at least ask for permission prior to mating, i.e. dancing around the hen?
Or does he "thank" them by dancing around them after mating?
Yes he does the dance, the duty and then stands there- ?? Also- there are 20 adult hens and I still have 2-3 that have bald heads and bare backs. I thought if there were plenty of hens this would less common? Maybe Nigel is not a good rooster all the way around☹️ Btw the hen is healing really well.

Yes he does the dance, the duty and then stands there- ?? Also- there are 20 adult hens and I still have 2-3 that have bald heads and bare backs. I thought if there were plenty of hens this would less common? Maybe Nigel is not a good rooster all the way around☹️ Btw the hen is healing really well.
Good to know that she is healing now.

Did I understand your right from your description: He seems to have only a few favourites he is wrestling down to stand on top and the others will be ignored?

I just once had a cockerel do this standing on top and even pecking the hens head fiercely although they had submitted and been mated by him several times without him getting off. And this one went to the crockpot the next day when I saw him do it to several other hens as well.
In my book this is abuse I will not tolerate in my flocks.

Last edited:
Good to know that she is healing now.

Did I understand your right from your description: He seems to have only a few favourites he is wrestling down to stand on top and the other will be ignored?

I just once had a cockerel do this standing on top and even pecking the hens head fiercely although they had submitzted and been meated by him several times without him getting off. And this one went to the crockpot the next day when I saw him do it to several other hens as well.
In my book this is abuse I will not tolerate in my flocks.
Crockpot it will be. I watched him do it this morning 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom