Uh-Oh! I’ve Got a Hormonal Hell-en on my Hands!

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
Uh-oh! My big, fluffy Bluebird is broody!! She’s my lowest ranking girl, but no one is bothering her this go-round. (Last time she got broody, the other girls kept kicking her out of the nest box.) This is day four and I’m wondering if I should put in an order for three or four chicks from Meyer Hatchery…

0B957BFE-7BF3-4A08-B73F-91E857B2BFE2.jpeg

If I order tonight, I can have them ready to stick under her by Wednesday night at the latest. My Speckled Sussex, Dottie, did an awesome job raising five Brahma chicks last year. Think it’s Blue’s turn?

I've never done it myself, but IIRC if you want a broody to adopt chicks you need her to be sitting long enough to be at least close to the time she thinks her eggs would hatch.
I was kind of anxious last year because my Speckled Sussex, Dottie, had only been broody for about ten days, but she did an awesome job!

6AE3B8D8-2C86-44CE-8622-DBF24BEBD7AA.jpeg

C261026C-828A-4F55-A7AE-5F51132F9344.jpeg

Blue is still broody! This is day five. I couldn’t even get her to come out for a snack and a drink before bedtime yesterday evening. I cant decide whether to grab a few eggs from under the neighbors broody hen or just order chicks for delivery on 24 May…

Back
Top Bottom