UK Member Please Say HI

Pics
Hi

All good here thanks.

My 3 chicks have integrated really well into the flock. They were 3 weeks old on Monday. Sadly, it's looking like they are all cockerels. There are 2 definite males with large combs that are already pink. I might be lucky and the other one might be female, but I think I'm kidding myself!

Had a lovely ride out this afternoon with my sister who brought one of her horses over from Sunderland. There is a 15 mile fun ride here on Monday so Jack is staying in my paddock until then and my sister is coming back to ride out on him again in the morning. Then Jack will get the day off on Sunday. I will be riding one of my partner's horses on Monday as mine are not fit enough to do the ride and his have just finished the hunting season so 15 miles and 30 jumps will be nothing to them.... I will be knackered though!!!! It's nice to have Jack back to stay for a few days. I bred him and he is a full brother to mine but sadly there is no brotherly love between my 2 lads, Rebel and Rascal and him. Hate would definitely be more appropriate! I left Rebel standing at the paddock gate making sure Jack doesn't think he's going to go anywhere else!

Wondering how Luddite is doing with her new coop and chicks?

Hi Barbara :frow

That's great you have got the three chicks intergrated into the flock. I've got the 4 week olds left yet to sell just 7 of them and quite a few are looking ominously male!! I'm saving three for my Mum. A small runty one and the 2 Amber link x ones. But I think 2 of them are males. The frizzle one is getting quite a comb and reddening up already. I think the small runty is a male too. Getting the pointy up tail and goes around like its 10 men taking on the big chicks.

Sounds great a fun ride on Monday, I too don't think my Harry would be fit enough for something like that well in fact I know he wouldn't. Have been very sporadicle with the riding and really need to get my finger out and start to be a more consistent for the summer. Really is a good job he's not one of these that you HAVE to get on everyday. My Harry has a love/hate relationship with his field companion. He's with an old boy of a another livery there. Dentist guesses he's somewhere between 25 and 30 now but Harry loves him really. Play fight like foals in the field untill one decides they have had enough.

Hope you have fun Monday :highfive: Got a surprise the other morning when I went down to the farm. With weather been nice the other week some had stayed out over night. The owner had gone out in the morning to start feeding round looked down field and saw a foal there :eek:
They had bought the mare last October as 3 year old from the coloured sales in Wales. Nothing at all said about that it could have been covered. It was in work in the process of being broken in. Been to a couple of in hand shows too. I'm not joking it did not look in foal it just looked well. Wasn't bagged up or anything but popped the foal out in the night. Foal was up and suckling when it was found with the mares field companion looking on from the side. Was an all round shock.

But he's here now and is healthy and she is being a great Mum. Just scuppered their plans for breaking and showing now so they will be one year behind with her.

Yes I hope Luddite is doing ok with her chicks and coop. She was on yesterday but not on here. I'm nosey and look when folks were last online.
Have a lovely evening Barbara and a great time Monday!
Make sure to have a real hot bath when you get back for those knackered arms and legs!!

Last edited:
Hi I am originally from the UK, does that count. I currently reside on the mississippi gulf Coast. I lived near Bury St. Edmunds growing up.

Of course it counts everyone welcome here wether from UK or not. Welcome to the thread :highfive: How long have you been in Mississippi?

Yes...I have 6 Warren bantams...prolific double yolk layers! Love giving the eggs away to folks. We also have a choco lab dog; a gypsy vanner cob; three chunky bunnies; 4 aquatic turtles and a bunch of sea monkeys. We r looking to buy a smallholding now for more horses and a goat or three...still a chook rookie as only had them a couple of months...

Quite a group of animals you have there. That's my plan too to have a farm where I can have my horse at home and get a couple more :oops: Wouldn't mind some more ex racers they should be given more credit than they get really. A lot of people especially some of my non horse folk friends say "must be a lunatic"
They like a little order and routine and they are good to go at most things really. I bet your cob has a lot of feather? Do you do any showing or anything. Where I keep mine on livery they had a gypsy cob stallion and he was great. All round a great guy. Would hack out with anything, could have him in fields next to other geldings with no issues. He was next to mine once over and some how the fence got down and everyone ended up together!! 2 geldings 2 mares and the stallion all very happy grazing away. Could not have done that with some of the other stallions.

Goats are certainly on my list if we ever get moved I think they are fascinating creatures. I too started out with warrens and they were great layers too. This whole chicken thing started with my other half getting a cheap coop and run and 2 warrens as a hobby for him and our son. Well needless to say the novelty soon wore off with them and they got more into shooting and doing game birds. I got over my bird phobia and I just couldn't stop myself then ended up with more more.

I too give a lot of eggs away especially to the neighbours after all they have to put up with my two cockerels crowing. Thankfully they are all ok about it and we live on the edge of the village so not too many houses around us.

My Trixie.
2764.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom