UK Member Please Say HI

Pics
Awwww...gawjuss...
1f60a.png

Of course it counts everyone welcome here wether from UK or not. Welcome to the thread :highfive: How long have you been in Mississippi?

I have been in Mississippi since 2009, prior to that I was in Arizona from 2003. Prior to that near Bury St Edmunds for 10 years, prior to that Arizona for 10 years, prior to that Near Bury st.Edmunds most of my life. Family's still there. Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks to Yorkshire Coop for pointing me here :)

Just for reference I am from Market Bosworth near Leicester.

Mark

:) They're fine, plodding along like normal.

I did an average egg count the other day to see how many of my hens are still laying and am getting a consistant 9 per day out of 25 hens, not a good ratio me thinks.

I was going to head to Melton Mowbray Fur and Feather Market today but got side tracked with other things. I will have to book another day off work and go another time.

How is everybody?

Hi YC

Had a fantastic day yesterday on the ride. I was really apprehensive as Ernie had been a total prat when I rode him out on Sat and nearly put us under a car on the main road because he decided to spook at a road sign that we have been past hundreds of times. My sister's horse had never seen it before and they calmly walked past it a few yards in front of us, so there was really no excuse. The poor elderly people in the car looked like they were going to have a heart attack. They had slowed right down but perhaps not given us a wide berth. Really nothing I could have done to prevent it but a close shave. Then he was really hyped up in the woods and when we finally got to practice a bit of jumping, he ducked out of the fist tiny jump I put him at twice. The first time I nearly hit the deck as I really wasn't expecting it. He has hunted all season and jumps 4 or 5 x that size. Anyway, yesterday, he was like riding Pegasus. Flew over every jump I put him at and I put him at every jump!!! I'm totally shattered today and a little saddle sore but well worth it. Then in the evening we drove my partner's little horse out in the exercise cart. He's 4 now and really getting the hang of the job. It's not easy in our area as it's very hilly, so they need to learn to pull and breech right from the start. It would be lovely to have a flat area to start them off but we just don't apart from the arena. Usually I have to walk with them and push going up the hills or hold it back going down until they get the hang of it.

I love the photos of your horses. @ boudiccamummy... Trixie looks like a real cutie. I'm a big fan of cobs.
And Harry is obviously named because he is a real Handsome Harry. I agree that the racing industry has a sad and sinister side as regards wastage and retirement and there are so many that need ne homes. Good for you for taking one in and even more so for thinking of taking on another as/when you have the space.

Unfortunately there seems to be something called "horse maths" as well as "chicken maths" I went to see a yearling 17 years ago and fell in love with his baby brother too, so bought them both, Then 6 months later I got a sob story from the owner that he had to sell their mother but he really didn't want to sell her to a dealer. I had ridden her years before and had a soft spot for her, so I bought her. She was in foal to the same stallion, so 3 then became 4. Then I called in to the farm I bought them from the following year to give them an update and found a "sold" sign on the gate and the stallion was the only livestock they had left and no where for him to go, so he came to me temporarily until they found somewhere (that was 12 or more years ago and he is still here and I haven't seen or heard from them for about 10 years, since he colicked and I left a message to say I was getting the vet) Much as I tried to keep the mare and stallion apart, my mare had other ideas and they have bred a total of 7 foals together. My sister has 2 of them, I gave one to a friend and I sold one to a lovely lady and I can go and see her whenever I want. I have the two original bad lads, Rebel and Rascal (now 17 and 18years old and still juvenile delinquents) and the youngest MeMe who is coming up 6. I eventually got the stallion cut and he and the mare live together like an old retired married couple.
And then of course I fall for a man who also suffers from horse math and already has 2 but needs more and mine just aren't good enough!!! So now he has 3 and I have 5!..... So do be careful of falling into that trap!

Anyway, getting back to chickens.... my 3 chicks are still doing really well and my two special needs chickens, Hoppity and Hope are also happy and confident enough to be back within the flock. Unfortunately Rascal managed to stand on one of the young exchequer leghorns yesterday.... as soon as I arrive at the yard hens and horses mob me....., so I guess it was only a matter of time before there was a casualty. 30 chickens running around under 3 horses hooves was bound to be an accident sooner or later. Thankfully, it was just a toe and she isn't sufficiently injured to let me catch her, so I'm hopeful she will be OK.

I think that's about all my news.

Welcome to Eggtastical and chicapee across the pond in Mississippi, and boudiccasmummy.

@Eggtastical I got initially got quite a few of my chucks from Melton Mowbray auction. My partner's friend was an auctioneer there and would ring up and say there is "this" or "that" at the auction that hadn't sold and I could have it for a fiver and he would bring it back for me. My first broody was such a hen and I absolutely love her even if she doesn't lay blue eggs like an Araucana should! Good luck getting a bargain next time you are there. What breeds do you have/want? You are right 9/25 is not a good ratio. Will you still keep/retire your older birds. It's strange but I couldn't bear to cull any of my girls but the lads are almost all for the chop.

Regards to all

Barbara

Hey - im a UK member :D im in Hampshire! I just got my lovely ladies(4) this weekend! :cd

Someone told me this is the beginning of my chicken-addiction when I got my four feathered ladies a couple of months ago. I was adamant I would only have 4. Last week I acquired two more. And now want quail. I reckon she was right.
1f602.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom