UK Member Please Say HI

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Habibs Hens, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Hi welcome to the thread :frow

How are you finding your first few days?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I hatched and raised some cortunix quail and they were lovely little birds and laid the most delicious eggs. Unfortunatly one of my dogs did not like them and got one killed it and death rolled it on the lawn. I think it was because they smelt more like game than chicken.

The chickens really do add up without you realising it :oops:

3. LindyLisa

LindyLisa New Egg

May 5, 2015
    Hi UK members - it's great to join a like minded group of folk, I'm down in Devon if there are other folk down here!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi Barbara!

Glad to hear you had a lovely time yesterday. Great that Ernie behaved and was not on the Saturday mood!! They can be weird can't they at things they have seen a thousand times. Harry does it occasionally at stuff depends what kind if a day he is having. Generally is good in traffic and we have a lot of farm traffic in the village but nothing really phases him. As long as you keep him going he's good. Not keen on standing still to let stuff past. I think the biggest thing we have had past us is a sugar beet harvester. Was great didn't muff but that can't be said of the others we had with us.
    I can just imagine the elderly couples faces, I'm sure they have the best intentions slowing down but then are too busy watching to see how close they are. I've had a few horror faces when I've been traffic side and Harry has been bumped a bit by the other horse. No way would he jump in front but there faces when they think he might brake brake brake!!

You have got horse math trouble!! Have loved reading how you acquired them all. I will take heed of this advice.
    Chickens and hooves as you say don't mix. Glad it was only a toe and as you say if you can't catch her it really can't be that bad. Down at the farm there are just geese and guineas roaming the chickens are locked up. The roamers tend to stay out of the way but boy those guineas are loud.

Hope your having a lovely evening, speak to you soon :thumbsup

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Hi welcome to the thread :frow

Hope your enjoying BYC? I'm afraid I'm a little way off Devon, Yorkshire for me.

6. boudiccasmummy

boudiccasmummy Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    shropshire UK

That's the great thing about this site. It's a global village full of chooks and chook lovers! Hurrah!

7. katiepoole

katiepoole New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Hello again.

Thanks for your reply, Barbara. I went off-radar for a while what with poorly children, missing cats, crazy work-schedule etc.
    But in the meantime.... I hatched my first batch of chicks! I went for 4 lavender pekin eggs, and 2 each of bantam silver-lavender and blue-salmon orpingtons. One of the blue-salmon orpington eggs was clear, but the other hatched, both silver lavenders hatched (though I had to help one out of the egg, and they both look very different), but I only got one pekin out of the four. What with having to midwife 'Smokey' out of the shell, and clean up 'Bruce's' pasty butt last night, it's all been rather dramatic! But my children are absolutely loving it; the first thing my 4 year old daughter says when she gets home from school is 'Can I cuddle the chicks?' I'll try to get some photos up later...

Hope all is well with everyone!

8. fieldyollie

fieldyollie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    HAMPSHIRE (UK)
    My Coop
    lol, I feel I have the same feeling, we are hoping to extend our coop at some point! so you never know :p

9. fieldyollie

fieldyollie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    HAMPSHIRE (UK)
    My Coop
    its hasn't been as bad as I was thinking :) they have settled very well and are happily laying and enjoying the big back garden we have!

10. hikaribug

hikaribug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2015

I'm in Devon too - near Exeter :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by