UK Member Please Say HI

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Habibs Hens, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ooRachyoo

ooRachyoo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    Devon England
    I'm such a proud mumma Hen, My lil Darlings took them selfs of to bed on their own for the first time, I've only had them 4 days. I was thinking I would have to be tucking them in for a little while yet, feel a bit redundant now I didn't have to go round them up, don't want to speak to soon because tomorrow night might be a bit different but I am very very proud

2. fieldyollie

fieldyollie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    HAMPSHIRE (UK)
    My Coop
    oh that's great news, I have only left my girls 2 times to see if they go it on there own, I popped to the shop they where safe in there run, I came back to find 4 huddling ladies in the coop, I have no idea how all of them fit on one the one parch lol [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. boudiccasmummy

boudiccasmummy Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    shropshire UK
    that sounds very stressful. Hope Meme is better soon. Ur very lucky keeping ur horses at home. My Trixie is kept in livery atm (very good livery tho it has to be said: really supportive with in - built training/schooling for both me and Trixie seperately. They are big on natural horsemanship. Shes totally chilled out now after her stressful and sudden move in Feb (long story) but it's not the same as having ur horse at home. We r shopping around for a small - holding as I am keen to expand my chook repetoire and also try some goats out... [​IMG]

4. boudiccasmummy

May 1, 2015
    shropshire UK
    I was surprised by that too. Being a newbie chook mummy I was pleasantly surprised that they put themselves to bed! All I need to do is shut the little hatch. we have resident Foxy-loxy about so I shut them in securely every night. Plus it keeps them quiet til a bit later in the morning. Out alpha hen heralds the dawn like a bloke. Tsk. And, being as the legality of keeping my chooks in my urban garden is a grey area I need to keep the neighbours happy!

5. ooRachyoo

ooRachyoo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    Devon England
    I was so surprised how quickly they got it, they were all queuing up this morning yo come out which did make me laugh, I would love to have a cockerel but living in a street with houses all around I don't think I would be to popular :)

6. boudiccasmummy

May 1, 2015
    shropshire UK
    I didn't get a cockerels for the same reason but my alpha female is mega loud first thing. No complaints yet...but waiting for it...that why I am eager to move to semi-rural/rural area...

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Oh my Barbara!! What a carry on for you, is everyone ok? Hope they were ok after their little expedition into the feed room. I bet it was quite a sight. We've had it happen but generally with naughty ponies who can open bolts etc. I'm sure the chucks loved the clean up though a bonus for them with the meal worms.

How is MeMe's over reach? It's a nightmare isn't it when you think things are healing only to be set back again. Such a shame the boot came off, typical isn't it. I've had the same with Harry and boots. He did his tendon last year and had to have box rest. Thought it was going to be the end of riding him his leg was so swollen and he was dog lame. But long story short he had to have box rest which did not agree with him, bute and hosing as many times a day as possible. I also got some of those bio flow magnet boots and a couple of lotions and potions for his leg. I found the leg ice gel worked well but very strange feeling on your hands. Vet came back and he had made progress so said he could go in a very small fenced off area in the field enough to walk a little but not trot. I got some of those support sports boots for him so his legs were well wrapped up and supported. Well first day not too bad really behaved well and had a few hours out. Next day put him out and he decided he was not having any of it took the fence down got his leg in it pulled the boot off his bad leg, Lord only knows how they have 4 thick Velcro straps on. He proceeded around the field like he was running the national!! All this to my horror as I'm stood there thinking watch the leg watch the leg. Needless to say when I caught he came in and thank goodness he was ok for his little mission.
    Been good and ridden yesterday and today. He will be thinking she's not catching me to ride me!!

Rascal is very well named!! He sounds quite a boy.

Back to chickens. I have an egg pipped in the incubator :celebrate A little early only day 19 but it can't wait. 25 in there so hoping for a good hatch.

Have a lovely evening and I hope you don't have any surprises tonight!!

8. jay0318

jay0318 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    I'm in the process of trying to introduce a new chicken to the 3 I have already, has anyone got any tips? when will I know they're actually ready to live together?

9. boudiccasmummy

May 1, 2015
    shropshire UK
    I am a newbie at chicken keeping but I just introduced my two new ones to my four established chooks at night so that they woke up together and sprayed the newbies tails with pine tar which discourages pecking/biting. (bought at my local farm shop). They had a couple of tussles but that's it. It was more vocal and feather plumping than actual violence. Two weeks later they are flocked together. It's worth commenting tho that the two new ones were previously quarantined by the previous owner for three weeks so I didn't need to do that part.

1 person likes this.
  10. KirstieJG

KirstieJG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi everyone [​IMG], I have just found this thread after starting a UK call out of my own and here you all are - oops!

I am in Surrey and my postage stamp garden is far too small for all the animals that I want but I dream of moving to Cornwall when the kids have finished school. I have five runner ducks; two are babies and are sooo darling, all yellow and fluffy, two black copper marrans - gorgeous personalities, so sweet tempered and friendly, a beautiful 6 week old white silkie bantam and another as yet unknown bantam but he/she is looking very like a cuckoo colour at the moment.

This year I have been trying my hand at hatching using an incubator so have begged and borrowed eggs off friends to hatch, Just a quick warning - hatching is addictive.[​IMG]

I have ended up with a few more than expected so will probably be selling bantam chicks and runner ducklings soon - watch this space!

some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by