UK Member Please Say HI

Hi Chicknovice when I read you mentioning butternut squash i thought maybe i could find a cheap pumpkin at a supermarket but they are all sold lol.
Anyway an updated picture of joffrey :D Ive washed his crest since i took the pic, coz im daft and he is ok about it, he/she is 9 weeks old tomorrow.

I’m thinking Joffrey could be a Mrs Joffrey :)

Hope everyone's had a good weekend. Joffrey's such a superstar :love

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on my nesting boxes. I blocked the boxes off when my chicks went out in the coop, to encourage them to use their perches. The 'chicks' are 15 weeks now but I thought with the short days, we probably wouldn't be getting any eggs until spring? Should I just leave the boxes blocked off?

Hope everyone's had a good weekend. Joffrey's such a superstar :love

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on my nesting boxes. I blocked the boxes off when my chicks went out in the coop, to encourage them to use their perches. The 'chicks' are 15 weeks now but I thought with the short days, we probably wouldn't be getting any eggs until spring? Should I just leave the boxes blocked off?

Not too bad a weekend thank you. Glad of a day off from delivering today though! It’s been manic this week and it’s not even the full Christmas peak yet :th

I would say if they are being good and using their perches on a night I would open up the boxes for them. That way they can become accustomed to going in them.

Yikes !! Ive just had one of those coop door guards set up and im out there most evenings now watching it close at the set time lol. So glad you noticed and sorted it for them. :D

How is that working out? I was thinking about it, but I have quails, and they are lazy wee sods at the best of times, so I just chase them in, and lock the hatch for the night

How is that working out? I was thinking about it, but I have quails, and they are lazy wee sods at the best of times, so I just chase them in, and lock the hatch for the night

I've got an automatic door opener on mine. It's good. There was a time when my chicks didn't like going indoors in the evening but since they started getting in at a reasonable time, the door closer's been great. I still check them every morning and night so I guess it's not essential but it does give you a bit more leeway getting up in the morning etc.

Another one down!

704A661E-0D10-454B-8114-B4D32D8CAE54.jpeg

Hi Ulaidian. Oh the door opener is absolutely fantastic, ive not gone for the cheapest model to be honest because i want piece of mind. I have only used it on a timer so far, and its been exact each time and its great not to have to get up early to let them out of the coop. Ive not kept quails though but when I had set the times I set them till after I saw them go in the coop and it works fine in my case.

Yorkshire Coop, sorry to see that you have been having fox problems, I guess the chicks are all doing ok ?

Hi Ulaidian. Oh the door opener is absolutely fantastic, ive not gone for the cheapest model to be honest because i want piece of mind. I have only used it on a timer so far, and its been exact each time and its great not to have to get up early to let them out of the coop. Ive not kept quails though but when I had set the times I set them till after I saw them go in the coop and it works fine in my case.

Yorkshire Coop, sorry to see that you have been having fox problems, I guess the chicks are all doing ok ?

Yes they are all good thank you :) Foxes are rife around us I’m afraid.

Could you stick a link up for it? Just so I can have a look at the range.

Re foxes I like them, but understand how essential control is.

That’s just what it is, control. They will never be eradicated as they have no natural predator. Taking some out also helps them as in disease control and introduction of new blood in the area. For certain months of the year the foxes shot in our area go to DEFRA to be DNA and disease tested. This gives a better idea on how they doing and how they are moving around. I’m afraid I don’t like them and never will. Having had my entire coop killed in the past and only one bird taken they are not on my Christmas card list. I could forgive a bird being taken for the fox to survive but when they kill everyone for the sake/fun of it and leave them behind it’s ust not on. Sorry, I will get off my soap box :oops:

Back
Top Bottom