UK Member Please Say HI

hellooooo... Im originally from Hertfordshire but have moved around a bit, now living in Okehampton, west Devon, uk. We first started keeping chickens when we lived in Norfolk. Started with a mix of 'pretty' hens for eggs only, but then I saw Brahmas! Hubbys valentine prezzie one year was a huge enclosure on our allotment and a quartet of brahmas. I was totally made up :) When we moved to Devon I sold off all my brahmas and bought some layers from a local livestock auction and they have just grown from there. mmmmm think they call it chicken maths..... We now have a mix of Legbars, Maran and Old English Game. They all free range over an acre through the winter, sharing the paddock with our 3 sheep and my billy goat, Jakey. The birds will be paired up about February for breeding and am also hoping to raise some meat birds from a cross of the game and marans. We did have ducks and raised 22 for the freezer in our last year of keeping them. I loved them dearly, but they made such a mess of the paddock, so I sold off the breeding adults and bought goose eggs to raise instead. The last 5 of those, proposed for breeding next year, were killed off by a family of foxes just a couple of months ago. The only night they wouldn't go to bed :/ Oh well, another year to get it right.....

hellooooo... Im originally from Hertfordshire but have moved around a bit, now living in Okehampton, west Devon, uk. We first started keeping chickens when we lived in Norfolk. Started with a mix of 'pretty' hens for eggs only, but then I saw Brahmas! Hubbys valentine prezzie one year was a huge enclosure on our allotment and a quartet of brahmas. I was totally made up :) When we moved to Devon I sold off all my brahmas and bought some layers from a local livestock auction and they have just grown from there. mmmmm think they call it chicken maths..... We now have a mix of Legbars, Maran and Old English Game. They all free range over an acre through the winter, sharing the paddock with our 3 sheep and my billy goat, Jakey. The birds will be paired up about February for breeding and am also hoping to raise some meat birds from a cross of the game and marans. We did have ducks and raised 22 for the freezer in our last year of keeping them. I loved them dearly, but they made such a mess of the paddock, so I sold off the breeding adults and bought goose eggs to raise instead. The last 5 of those, proposed for breeding next year, were killed off by a family of foxes just a couple of months ago. The only night they wouldn't go to bed :/ Oh well, another year to get it right.....

Hiya DizzyDawn, I enjoyed reading your post, you certainly have some interesting experiences. Shame about the geese, I am pretty new to keeping bantams. (only about 11 weeks now) This is a fantastic website, has everything plus more and tons of support, advice and suggestions. Welcome :thumbsup

Hi :frow

Welcome to BYC & the U.K. thread!

OMG I just heard a `cockadoo ladoo` from my back garden, i ran to the back door and thought `which one of you did that ??` It was Joffrey coz he did it again lol, So either he is a guy or a gal who cockadooledoos lol
If he is a guy then i hope my white silkie `popcorn` is a gal coz maybe one day i wil have white polish/silkie chicks lol. But still he is only 11 weeks old tomorrow.
im hoping my neighbours will be ok :eek:

Back
Top Bottom