UK Member Please Say HI

I asked at BATA for scatter grain and they gave me chicken treats. It included dried banana that I wouldn't even buy for myself unless as a treat! (Insert that eye-popping emoticon!) So then I got a bag of wheat to mix with it - and the chickens preferred the wheat!:rolleyes:
I just didn’t get any at all. Just didn’t seem worth it. I also switched from BATA layers pellets to golden yolk as they are cheaper. Our BATA also changed manager and who they have working there now are hopeless. Not very knowledgable on feed for horses either.

Yep next Tuesday so long as you don't live in one of the 10 kilometre restriction zones that are still there.
And you still need to be very careful because there were two new cases yesterday, in Wales and East Yorkshire. Mine will get just a couple of hours out before bedtime because the geese fly directly over the garden.

I just didn’t get any at all. Just didn’t seem worth it. I also switched from BATA layers pellets to golden yolk as they are cheaper. Our BATA also changed manager and who they have working there now are hopeless. Not very knowledgable on feed for horses either.
I've been surprised at some of the BATA prices. Cat food is a pound or two dearer than in Asda which is just across the road. I get the Smallholder pellets. It's so easy to park at BATA that I've not bothered comparing the prices for pellets. Also the other places don't display the prices, which always feels awkward, but maybe I should be tougher and just walk in and ask without buying.
When I ask about chicken things they ask one of the lasses who seems to know.

Go into the Yates pet shop it's down the alleyway at the side of the shop, they sell bags of mixed corn. It's where I buy the majority of my chicken feed from.
I started off getting mixed corn and pellets from there but the last couple of bags of mixed corn were dusty with a lot of broken bits. Also I was put off because it was raining hard both times and I couldn't park up because of folk misusing the customer parking space so I got drenched. Whereas, it's really easy to go to BATA (for someone who still isn't confident driving and doesn't want to prang a car when parking!)

And you still need to be very careful because there were two new cases yesterday, in Wales and East Yorkshire. Mine will get just a couple of hours out before bedtime because the geese fly directly over the garden.
The one in East Yorkshire is at Beverley. Just down M62 from me :hmm Mine are always supervised if allowed out as they get lost easily being polish. Plus the other half gets upset if they destroy scratch his flower beds up :lol:
I've been surprised at some of the BATA prices. Cat food is a pound or two dearer than in Asda which is just across the road. I get the Smallholder pellets. It's so easy to park at BATA that I've not bothered comparing the prices for pellets. Also the other places don't display the prices, which always feels awkward, but maybe I should be tougher and just walk in and ask without buying.
When I ask about chicken things they ask one of the lasses who seems to know.
I’ve found Farm foods to be quite a bit cheaper on cat food. Mainly the big jumbo packs of pouches like Whiskas and Felix. Yes be tougher! I just tell them to their face “no thanks, too pricey“

I don't think they have ever flown directly over where we are but they do seem to come either side of the farm when I've seen them. We once had a field full land in the stubble field just behind us, what a sight it was, blooming loads of them, think it was when it was really windy and they settled for the night. They come from Malton way and head towards Pickering then veer off to the left. No idea where they are going, but I have watched them very often, they seem to fly quite high over us whereas they are pretty low over you.
As I want all my eggs in the nest boxes mine will only have a couple of hours before bed as well, my cats tend to go in the run if I leave the gate open for the hens, then they go and get comfy in the nest boxes, not good when the hens want to go back to bed.

I don't think they have ever flown directly over where we are but they do seem to come either side of the farm when I've seen them. We once had a field full land in the stubble field just behind us, what a sight it was, blooming loads of them, think it was when it was really windy and they settled for the night. They come from Malton way and head towards Pickering then veer off to the left. No idea where they are going, but I have watched them very often, they seem to fly quite high over us whereas they are pretty low over you.
As I want all my eggs in the nest boxes mine will only have a couple of hours before bed as well, my cats tend to go in the run if I leave the gate open for the hens, then they go and get comfy in the nest boxes, not good when the hens want to go back to bed.
Don't know why but I find the wild geese an amazing sight anyway. The chickens stop and watch them too. I think you're out earlier than me - I see them when they're going home for the night! It coincides with mine getting ready for bed so quite often I'm out there and I love to watch them. Yes, they come from Pickering way and they might be heading for either of two lakes near us. One's to the East of Welham Road, among the houses, and the other's by the golf course. The route is very consistent from day to day but has changed slightly. It used to go just behind the barn that backs onto our garden but now it's the other side of the barn and over the run - I've cleared up the evidence a couple of times!
My cat loved going on the coops to sunbathe. I'd showed him lots of chicken videos before I got the bantams and he seemed to like being with them.

The one in East Yorkshire is at Beverley. Just down M62 from me :hmm Mine are always supervised if allowed out as they get lost easily being polish. Plus the other half gets upset if they destroy scratch his flower beds up :lol:

I’ve found Farm foods to be quite a bit cheaper on cat food. Mainly the big jumbo packs of pouches like Whiskas and Felix. Yes be tougher! I just tell them to their face “no thanks, too pricey“
The map makes it look a reasonable distance from Goole so let's hope it's ok where you are. When I checked I found that the zone around Pickering's closed now - so that's a big Phew!! especially with the geese coming from there. But I feel really sorry for the people and birds in those new zones.

Don't know why but I find the wild geese an amazing sight anyway. The chickens stop and watch them too. I think you're out earlier than me - I see them when they're going home for the night! It coincides with mine getting ready for bed so quite often I'm out there and I love to watch them. Yes, they come from Pickering way and they might be heading for either of two lakes near us. One's to the East of Welham Road, among the houses, and the other's by the golf course. The route is very consistent from day to day but has changed slightly. It used to go just behind the barn that backs onto our garden but now it's the other side of the barn and over the run - I've cleared up the evidence a couple of times!
My cat loved going on the coops to sunbathe. I'd showed him lots of chicken videos before I got the bantams and he seemed to like being with them.
Usually late afternoon when I see them heading out towards Pickering. Usually when I go to see to my chucks after work. I have never seen them coming from Pickering way always going to Pickering. Yes I have seen them when I used to visit my friend who used to live in St Nicholas Street, she has sadly passed away now, she would often photograph them and she saw them going both ways.

Back
Top Bottom