UK Member Please Say HI

Stop trying to encourage me to hatch them I don't have a incubator for a start
Also if I was to do this how long do the eggs remain fertile for as you know ducks are not that bothered about laying them in a nest they dump them everywhere
Just asking
1f440.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help myself, all homes should have an incubator :oops:

You can collect them and store for 7-10 days and the fertility should still be good. The longer they are stored the less likely they are to hatch. Fresher the better :D You know if your just asking ;)

Stop trying to encourage me to hatch them I don't have a incubator for a start
Also if I was to do this how long do the eggs remain fertile for as you know ducks are not that bothered about laying them in a nest they dump them everywhere
Just asking
1f440.png
I've bought two 48 egg incubators from eBay under 40 pounds each if your looking to buy one
1f602.png

Yes please! There's nothing better than cute duckling photos :)
Are they still having sales (with all of the bird flu restrictions)?

They are not selling live birds, but they do have egg auctions every Tuesday. I don't know when they'll start selling birds again.

@timon

I used to know one of the auctioneers there and my favourite broody came from there.
Are they resuming their poultry section auctions now that the restrictions have been relaxed a bit?
You could also try the notice board at your local feed store.  Check it for adverts for a cockerel but also place a wanted add and include that is for breeding purposes, not eating....you may get inundated with offers though.

Good luck with your hatch a long marans. Will you be getting the hatching eggs at Melton Mowbray auction?

It's a small world. I feel like the auctioneer has been there for years ... I've no idea what his name is !

I'm happy to hatch some eggs, but I've no way to tell the type of Marans that's being sold from an egg. With the auction you don't always get a good description. Any recommendations how to approach an egg auction and tell what you're getting?

@timon
The Black Copper Marans eggs should be really dark and shiny and quite round/oval shaped in my experience. Welsummers seem to have more of a matt finish and terracotta coloured and sometimes speckled although I have a Marans that is speckling her eggs sometimes too and my welsummer eggs are round at one end and very tapered at the other. If you get a really dark egg, then it gives you a good chance of any pullets that hatch from them also laying dark eggs, which I assume is what you are after.

The guy I knew was the kennel/huntsman here and used to travel down to Melton every Tuesday for the day to auctioneer the poultry. The broody I got had not been bid on and he rang me up and asked if I wanted her for a fiver. She was supposed to be an araucana and lay blue eggs but she's a mutt, lays pink/tint eggs and I love her to bits! Best fiver I ever spent and he delivered her too!

Anyway, good luck getting some eggs for a reasonable price...whatever that is in the current climate.... since poultry sales are still not happening I have a sneaky feeling hatching eggs will increase in price as people can't get what they want by other means.

Ok that's cool
1f60e.png
I knew that they were om for a bit but was not sure if they were left
1f448.png
only thing is if I hatch some ill.need.to get rid of them as I cant keep them no room
1f610.png

:frow

Hope everyone is doing well? We have had a couple of days of lovely weather and now it's had to spoil itself with rain and wind this evening :(
Had a trip to the seaside yesterday which was nice as the sun was out. Something very calming about listening to the sea.

Back
Top Bottom