UK Member Please Say HI

Chooks may be creatures of habit but in my experience they are smarter than most people know..

Mine have learnt the sound of the back door opening. Soon as it goes I get "bawwwwwkkkk" from Maggie. "Let us out to plaaayyy!" They can't even see me, they just know that door opening = human coming outside = probably getting let out = HURRY UP!!

I've been bringing Michonne and Daryl in the house for extra food, because they're on the skinny side (and Michonne is getting butt wipe downs and vent gleet treatment) and neither of them even do the funny little "squat and wings out ready to fly" pose when I lean down to pick them up any more. In fact Daryl comes into the house herself because that's where the yummy food is. Eugh.

I love that pose.

whenever you deal with living creatures there are some deaths.
the thing to do is learn from them and try again.
I know I know - just feels like a lot of deaths in a short while between the 3 hatches! This morning I discovered Mabel had crushed one of the shells on one side - the membranes are in tact and as we are heading towards day 19 this evening I have put it in the incubator - there seemed to be an air cell. I also nicked the tiny bantam egg off her - i think she is just to big, heavy and inexperianced. In future I'll only give her big strong eggs.
if a chicken is aggressive with you
She is only really aggressive when broody and with the chicks so in my eyes she is just being an awesome mum so not too worried about that, she is fine if I can get close enough to pick her up. It is more her chicks who are waaaaaay too quick to catch and are so frightened of me!
Chooks may be creatures of habit but in my experience they are smarter than most people know. They can re-learn habits.
so make a habit of being firm but gentle and they'll start to like you
I read they are as smart as an average toddler and considering how quick my one of those is I agree!
In fact Daryl comes into the house herself because that's where the yummy food is. Eugh.
Mine also love coming in - usually to find me but with the heat hitting I think they have worked out it is much cooler in here :lau

IMG_20180617_142114717.jpg
Daryl...

Feeling really awful. I had to cull one of the chicks. First time I've had to do it. Don't know what was up with it. It was pooing alot of blood and couldn't stand up. Separated it for the day and it deteriorated. Did it when I got home. I'm gutted. I feel so bad but it was suffering.

You absolutely did the right thing if it was suffering. It is so hard to do - my son and I were gutted when we put Edward Scissorbeak down but I wish in hindsight I'd done it earlier.
I only got them last week. It was the smallest of them. It's when I picked it up to do it and it looked up and cheeped, then it was done. I felt cold. I know it was the best thing I could have done. I doubt it would have recovered. I just hope the rest will be OK. They are no worse but still seem lethargic. I can't take the chance of introducing them to mine until this has cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom