UK Member Please Say HI

Hope everyone had a good Christmas! Now looking forward to new year's and a little normality to resume! Got a nice surprise this morning in the coop, one of my marans has given her first egg! :woot
DSC_0087.JPG

I got four in June so they're just over 6 months old. I now know that I have 11 that are definately laying at the moment but VERY sporadically! I average 4 a day from 20 hens!

Hope everyone had a good Christmas! Now looking forward to new year's and a little normality to resume! Got a nice surprise this morning in the coop, one of my marans has given her first egg! :woot
View attachment 1627889
I got four in June so they're just over 6 months old. I now know that I have 11 that are definately laying at the moment but VERY sporadically! I average 4 a day from 20 hens!
Congrats on the new egg layer :)
I'm relatively new to poultry and I was told chickens stop laying in winter but mine are still laying - I have three laying chickens and two laying ducks and I get 5 eggs practically everyday, there might be the odd day here and there where I might only get 4 but its very rare that happens. I'm wondering if its the mild winter we are having here in Suffolk, its more like spring than anything else.

View attachment 1627889

:clap on the egg! Serious drought here with them and non of my girls are paying any rent!

Happy new year everyone! I hope you have a lovely 2019!

I haven't had notifications again hence me disappearing! Been busy here the last month too - I organised our village Christmas market, and had a stall first weekend of December then my little one had a high temp for 6 days, and I flew to the UK for my brothers wedding on the 15th, then home to only a week to get everything sorted for Christmas! It has been crazy!

Personally I wouldn’t want one of my girls raising babies in the cold. I would break her and quick. Get her back in the real world as quick as possible. Silkies are well know for their bloodiness so I would wait for the warm to kick in, I am sure you will have another chance when the weathe is more in the favour for babies.
Update on Hermione, she was so determined to sit so I cleaned out the broody coop and moved her in there. Temps really dropped around the same time and have been around freezing overnight. I noticed the next day that she had abandoned all but 2 of the eggs. Then a couple of days later she abandoned the other 2 as well. I opened them and most were fertile and develped a tiny bit, one was a bit further on than the others:
83a70f15b28a51f66a34781f158afa82.jpg

My theory is that in the little coop (which has just a thin plastic base) that she wasnt' able to keep it warm enough. I left it all open and she has happily gone back to the main coop nad no longer being broody so hoping she'll hold off again now until the spring!
Hi I keep 9 LF ORPINGTONS and I’m in Essex uk
Welcome
I just lost the first of my ex batts. :(
Awwww I'm sorry to hear that.
I rescued/kidnapped a chicken from a friend yesterday.
She is gorgeous, best of luck getting her poor leg sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom