UK Member Please Say HI

Hello from Rutland (Beeston, Notts before then)

My girls are:

1 Black Rock 13 ish yo
1 welsummer x silkie - full size but 5 toes 3 yo+
1 light Sussex bantam x silkie - looks just like a Light Sussex 3 yo +
1 silver pencilled Wyandotte bantam ( my avatar) 2 yo
2 x bantam crosses 4 days old ( the Wyandotte was the broody). No idea what breed but both have feathered feet so pekin? X ? (eBay eggs , all fertile but losses along the way)

I joined to get broody hatching help for my first attempt and I am so glad I did.

Chicks are fun and terrifying in equal measures!

Attachments

• 352B7C30-4529-4D16-92D6-30772CDC9583.jpeg
    352B7C30-4529-4D16-92D6-30772CDC9583.jpeg
    766.5 KB · Views: 2
  • C3B6D20A-714B-44DD-B35B-557F77A1FAD6.jpeg
    C3B6D20A-714B-44DD-B35B-557F77A1FAD6.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 1
Hello from Rutland (Beeston, Notts before then)

My girls are:

1 Black Rock 13 ish yo
1 welsummer x silkie - full size but 5 toes 3 yo+
1 light Sussex bantam x silkie - looks just like a Light Sussex 3 yo +
1 silver pencilled Wyandotte bantam ( my avatar) 2 yo
2 x bantam crosses 4 days old ( the Wyandotte was the broody). No idea what breed but both have feathered feet so pekin? X ? (eBay eggs , all fertile but losses along the way)

I joined to get broody hatching help for my first attempt and I am so glad I did.

Chicks are fun and terrifying in equal measures!
Hi Patchworkjo!
Lovely to meet a fellow local! I’m in Bramcote so very close to your old home!
That’s an amazing mix of girls you’ve got 😄 I think once I’ve got a better understanding and am more settled into chicken ownership I’d love to grow our clan! You’re so right they’re amazing but terrifying! Ours are currently giving us a bit of a headache as they’ve all stopped laying about a week ago although eating, drinking, running around as normal so currently running through what might be up! Wormer arriving tomorrow as I’ve seen a few in poop I think so hopefully that’ll help them!

Hi CCUK!
Nice to meet another relatively close by chicken keeper!! To be honest I’m not entirely sure, I think they’re just commercial browns of varying shades! What about you?
Hi. I have a bit of a mix really! Acouple of ex battery hens and Warren's. Also Brahmas, whitestars, araucanas, bluebells, pekin bantams, Orpington bantams a cream leg bar and a pair of cuckoo marans! I also have pigeons! They're has certainly been enough to keep me busy!

Hi. I have a bit of a mix really! Acouple of ex battery hens and Warren's. Also Brahmas, whitestars, araucanas, bluebells, pekin bantams, Orpington bantams a cream leg bar and a pair of cuckoo marans! I also have pigeons! They're has certainly been enough to keep me busy!
Sounds great and a fabulous variety of egg colours and sizes....I am a bit jealous. We had a cream leg bar who was so flighty 😄

Oh wow!! That’s what I’m aspiring to, starting small to get to grips before expanding 😁

That's good you're eggs are doing well. How are they progressing? The egg you pictured looks like it may be infertile but I think that you could tell for sure by now. I don't normally candle before day 7.
Thanks for your reply. They are doing well that particular egg seems to have developed so we now have 15 good as of day 5 and 5 unsure. Unfortunately my incubator seems to have flipped out so have posted on a specific thread related to that for some help. Will be candling again this evening to see how the eggs have been affected.

Sounds great and a fabulous variety of egg colours and sizes....I am a bit jealous. We had a cream leg bar who was so flighty 😄
My legbar is called jellybean! She's not particularly flighty but doesn't like being picked up. I got her from another member on here who had to give up her chickens as she wasn't allowed them where she lived and a neighbour complained.
Oh wow!! That’s what I’m aspiring to, starting small to get to grips before expanding 😁
I only started with 6! I have 22 now! They can be alot if work especially in the winter. I do love having them though. The whole family get involved. Apart from cleaning coops and mucky bums!!
Thanks for your reply. They are doing well that particular egg seems to have developed so we now have 15 good as of day 5 and 5 unsure. Unfortunately my incubator seems to have flipped out so have posted on a specific thread related to that for some help. Will be candling again this evening to see how the eggs have been affected.
Fingers crossed you will have a good hatch. Incubating always stresses me out. My incubator is a cheapo ebay bargain! It works but I'm constantly checking it as the temperature doesn't seem to want to stay constant. What are you hatching?

hello @Patchworkjo - welcome to BYC UK thread :frow
You've done terrifically well to get a bird to 13! what's your secret?

When she was about 1 yo a dog got into the run at the allotments and injured/ killed several of the birds. She had a damaged leg and breast removed from bone but seemed oddly ok. WE patched her up with Savlon spray and bandage and confined her in our garden. That day I promised her I would never get rid of her - she hasn't laid many eggs since and seems to be testing to see if I will keep my promise. She is old, and limps and is blind but still joins in and is top hen. I think Black Rocks are just bred to be survivors and she certainly is (oh and she is a little spoiled).

Back
Top Bottom