Ulcerative enteritis?

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,

Has anyone have any issues with Ulcerative Enteritis with Bobwhite quails?
I had one quail that died today and I noticed the breast bone sticking out like a sharp knife, with thin skin covering it, this must give clues as to why the quail died? I researched it and believe this may be the reason why.

Apparently bobwhite quail are the most susceptible to this highly contagious disease.
I think they said that moldy feed can cause this disease.
The way my quail pen is set up, I have to lay down sheets of plastic on the top of the pen to prevent rain from getting inside, I think this is the problem. Water still seems to steep inside the pen which I know can cause moldy feed.

Any ideas what I could do to keep the pen dry come rain or shine?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Actually I had a Bobwhite quail that was given to me years ago with Ulcerative Enteritis. If I can correctly remember, the first thing that gives it away is the color of the poop. Ashy grey. It can kill them extremely quick and only if you catch it quick and act fast, can you sometimes save them. Mine was a female. One day she just looked dull and all fluffed up with this funky colored poop. I immediately got her started on antibiotics the moment I looked at her. By day 2, I wasn't sure she was going to survive. Fortunately she was drinking and drank enough of the antibiotics that I got her cured.

Now, I believe that it comes from other infected birds. I am not sure that bad feed can cause this particular disease. In my case this bird did come from being with other infected birds. In your case however, feed does cause forms of enteritis, and intestinal issues.

If you have an open top on your pen, and doves or pigeons are sitting on top of it, their poop will contaminate your quail area. If I were you, I would cover your roof with a permanent type of roof. Rain and snow getting into your quail area is not good. Not only does mud clump up on feet, but disease, bacteria and fungus grows in moist environments. So dry, drier, driest is best.

On one of my aviaries, I use a giant tarp that I have attached to a very long 10 foot pole, which I roll and unroll depending on the weather.

I would get your quail on antibiotics if you do suspect Ulcerative Enteritis, as if I remember correctly, it is contagious. So they others may have it or be carriers now.

Good luck!

ULCERATIVE COLITIS IS A CONTAGEOUS DISEASE CAUSED BY A FORM OF CLOSTRIDIUM BACTERIA, BOB WHITES USUALLY DO NOT SHOW WEIGHT LOSS WITH IT AS ITS A SUPER FAST MOVING AILMENT FOR THEM. MOST ARE DEAD WITHIN 3 DAYS OF INFECTION, THUS NO TIME TO LOOSE WEIGHT. MOST EASILY NOTED SIGNS ARE NECROPSY SHOWING A DEAD OR NECROTIC LIVER AND OR SPLEEN SEEN AS YELLOW/ GRAY SPOTS IN THE ORGAN~ AS IS THE CASE WITH BOBS THE BACTERIA MIGRATE TO THE LIVER AND CAUSE IT TO DIE (NECROSE). ANY SURVIVORS ARE CARRIERS FOR LIFE, IT IS AVIAN CROSS SPECTRUM (ALL BIRDS CAN BE INFECTED, THOUGH MANY TOLERATE IT MUCH BETTER THAN QUAIL).... BEST TREATMENTS INCLUDE BACITRACIN AND FURIZOLIDONE COMBO

MYCOTOXIN POISONING IS FROM MILDEWED FEED.

2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AILMENTS.

AS FOR KEEPING THE FOOD MILDEW FREE KEEP IT FRESH, IF WET FEED SITS FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME MILDEW IS A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY.

A GOOD POSSIBILITY HERE COULD BE PARASITES? INTESTINAL PARASITES CAUSE WEIGHT LOSS AND WASTING AWAY OF THE HOST?? AS WOULD COCCIDIA

Thank you twocrowsranch and JJMR for replying !!
wink.png

Mine was also a female that died. I will add a tarp on the top of the pen and get the pen cleaned to prevent the disease from spreading. I'm looking now online to order the antibiotics for the quails. Do you recommend a certain brand? Wazine is only good for worms, correct?

Wazine is a wormer that is put in the quails water for one day. A good broad spectrum antibacterial med is Duramycin. You can get that at most feed stores. There are other antibiotics out there for specific diseases that you can look into if you need them.

Wazine is a wormer that is put in the quails water for one day. A good broad spectrum antibacterial med is Duramycin. You can get that at most feed stores. There are other antibiotics out there for specific diseases that you can look into if you need them.

I just went to order the Duramycin-10 powder from an online feed store. I hope it gets here quickly so I can give it to the quails. I was reading up on Duramycin I didn't know it was good at different kinds of diseases and it does help prevent them from forming which is good. Do you think I will have to use this maybe every day or so? I know your suppose to use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.
Now I need to order wormer Wazine for the quails.

Something else I would like you to consider is pecking order in the pen. I have had females go down on me that I had NO idea were being bullied when I was not present feeding. When I feed, everyone is happy to see me and at the feeder. When I was gone, a few of my girls were getting the serious freeze out from the little alpha female in the pen!!!!! Size does not matter. I lost 2 girls this way...No apparent problems and they are eating, no access to the ground for worms, having lived their entire life off of or not exposed to dirt for cocci or worm eggs.

I caught it earlier in some that I noticed did not come near the feeder, while the bolder (be she big or small) stood at it like "this is MINE". I remove soft spoken girls to pens either by themselves for a bit or introduce on neutral ground...to another soft spoken girl....

It happens
hu.gif
Pecking order starving the nice girl out. I am sorry for your loss. Did you do a necropsy (autopsy) ?

Something else I would like you to consider is pecking order in the pen. I have had females go down on me that I had NO idea were being bullied when I was not present feeding. When I feed, everyone is happy to see me and at the feeder. When I was gone, a few of my girls were getting the serious freeze out from the little alpha female in the pen!!!!! Size does not matter. I lost 2 girls this way...No apparent problems and they are eating, no access to the ground for worms, having lived their entire life off of or not exposed to dirt for cocci or worm eggs.

I caught it earlier in some that I noticed did not come near the feeder, while the bolder (be she big or small) stood at it like "this is MINE". I remove soft spoken girls to pens either by themselves for a bit or introduce on neutral ground...to another soft spoken girl....

It happens
hu.gif
Pecking order starving the nice girl out. I am sorry for your loss. Did you do a necropsy (autopsy) ?

Hi kahlertm!,

I haven't thought of that as a possibly cause of death. Because I always keep the feeders and waterers full, so it couldn't of been because there was no food or water. I need to observe the flock of quail closer maybe my female did die because of pecking order. And I have 1 feeder and 1 waterer in the pen. What's interesting is that where the female died is also the area where all the quails form a covey on cold nights, I was thinking maybe she died because they were all together and some of them might of stepped on her.
I did notice the dead female's crop area was completely empty when she died, which could mean starvation but their was food. And the breastbone was sticking out like a knife which I can't figure out what that means? I wasn't able to bury the bird yet as the ground is frozen but I was thinking of doing an autopsy, never done this before.

Thank You!!

Thank you twocrowsranch and JJMR for replying !!
wink.png

Mine was also a female that died. I will add a tarp on the top of the pen and get the pen cleaned to prevent the disease from spreading. I'm looking now online to order the antibiotics for the quails. Do you recommend a certain brand? Wazine is only good for worms, correct?

. BEST TREATMENTS INCLUDE BACITRACIN AND FURIZOLIDONE COMBO

Back
Top Bottom