Umm, I'm not sure whats going on here?!

Mine were laying early last year..they were breeding but the eggs were not fertile. I don't think my ganders were old enough. I was really surprised they were laying @ 8-9 months old.
My ganders are hissing too! That brown china devil attacked me yesterday..he caught my pant leg and started with the wing whipping...LOL He is fast, got me as soon as I turned my head.
somad.gif

I am think my supposed to be African geese are leaving here...so if anyone interested in a mean little devil...hahaha

My ganders are getting very hissy and are now charging..but I hope they wait at least 2 more months before the eggs start coming. I haven't separated them yet..I have some Pom I want to intergrate for saddleback sebs. I hope I haven't wait to late already
he.gif

Our gander has been getting more and more aggressive these past couple weeks too! They only hatched this Spring so this could be a part of his personality emerging, but he even went after the dog today who is probably around them the most out of everyone, and not the least bit inquisitive or aggressive towards the geese! Weirdest thing. No extra light here either, they were in a coop next to the chickens, who did get light, but now they're in a completely separate building. Very odd!

It came up on a goose list I am on again this year and someone said their vet said it is because the geese are getting too much protein and their bodies are confused. Normally they get extra protein in the spring and that is when they start laying, so when we start feeding them extra feed for winter, their bodies get confused and think they should be laying. Vet said to cut back their feed some and they would stop laying. Poster said they did that and the birds stopped within 4 days. Not sure if this is true, just relaying the conversation for you all.

I thought maybe it was due to the weather. We had very cold weather the first half of October and then it warmed up the end of October. I know we have some plants blooming again.

Quote:
Well that would make sense but mine are getting the same feed as always and the weather has been below normal temps so its not the weather either. I'm still getting eggs and daily breeding activity is still going on.

Last Christmas day my goose started laying eggs. It was really weird. She laid an egg almost every day when the chickens had decided it was too cold to keep laying. Right now I have a Scovie trying to go broody but it is going to be way too cold for her ducklings so I keep stealing her eggs from her. I think it's all the crazy weather that messes them up.

Mine aren't laying, but they're fretful and pulling up nesting material. My theory ( for what it's worth, I'm in the North) is that they have a genetic program to acquire territory/dominance for food, shelter and nesting rights when the weather turns, and the light changes. In other words; they want the best conditions for cold weather, and maybe a pre-selection for a mate, who would be the more beneficial to the cause. Just a guess!

Back
Top Bottom