Ummmmm help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thechefchicks, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Thechefchicks

Thechefchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    So I purchased my girls on 3/20 of this year and I have yet to receive any eggs, or even those first ones that have no shell!!! I am now getting worried that I paid a little extra for pullets and they aren't. Any suggestions on why they aren't yet? Also there seems to be quite a bit of feathers on the ground but none of them look like they are losing feathers. When should I excpect eggs, i know the Easter egg layers start a little later but the Barred rocks and the Buff Orps should be laying by now

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Were they fuzzy babies on 3/20 when you got them or had they started to feather out - and, if so, how feathered were they? If they were new babies then they are just about 20 weeks now - generally you would expect to see those first eggs anytime between now and 28 weeks of age.

3. Thechefchicks

Thechefchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    They were tiny little fuzz balls. Alright :( I remember getting eggs at the end of July with my first batch of girls I have heard Lucy and Ethel singing the egg song so hopefully I will start getting some eggs[​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Shouldn't be too long - we brought home our girls (as fuzz balls) on 3/8 and they started laying a couple of weeks ago - we are now up to 11 of 15 laying. Fingers crossed for your first eggs to show up ASAP.

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Mine hatched on 3-15 and out of 6 only two are laying. Hang in there.

6. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Are they squatting, singing the egg song, or spending a lot of time fluffing out their nest boxes? I got my first egg about 2 weeks after I heard my first song, 1.5 weeks after they started squatting, and 1 week after they started testing out the nest boxes.

My girls were born 3/7. Only 1 of 4 is laying now (first egg yesterday!). Have another girl, but she was born 3/21, so I don't expect to see anything form her for another couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by