Unabsorbed yolk

Elliecurrie

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
I am absolutely beyond myself, I don’t know what to do, my hen has been on a clutch of 6 eggs and they have all started to hatch, the first one came out and had a bubble on its but/belly, then the second came and she crushed the third, the one with the bubble (faith), I have read and read and put it down to unabsorbed Yolk, my hen pecked it and burst it and now it has dried up but is pretty large, she was very week but currently is very much stronger, I have gave her sugar water and she is warm and is doing so much better but I feel so guilty for keeping her alive, with this massive thing on her bum, what do I do, lots of people say cut it of but some say leave it but it seems it’s been the same for the past day and I can’t seem to find any information, will she have a normal life or is she suffering, please help 😥

Attachments

• A2C4675F-6C8B-45A7-B717-BB1C024963CE.jpeg
    A2C4675F-6C8B-45A7-B717-BB1C024963CE.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 49
I am absolutely beyond myself, I don’t know what to do, my hen has been on a clutch of 6 eggs and they have all started to hatch, the first one came out and had a bubble on its but/belly, then the second came and she crushed the third, the one with the bubble (faith), I have read and read and put it down to unabsorbed Yolk, my hen pecked it and burst it and now it has dried up but is pretty large, she was very week but currently is very much stronger, I have gave her sugar water and she is warm and is doing so much better but I feel so guilty for keeping her alive, with this massive thing on her bum, what do I do, lots of people say cut it of but some say leave it but it seems it’s been the same for the past day and I can’t seem to find any information, will she have a normal life or is she suffering, please help 😥
Are her eyes open? Definitely do not cut it. Don't touch it at all. It will absorb on its own. You said the hen ruptured it? That's not good. Just wait and see. It's not cruel. Do you have a incubator you can put her in?

She opens them but not very often, she just seems to lay there but has gotten so much better to what she was like, she chirps and dances about and has fluffed out but I just feel terrible because it is so big and feel like it will restrict her and she must be in pain, and NO!! I’m currently heating up a pad and covering her over😥

She opens them but not very often, she just seems to lay there but has gotten so much better to what she was like, she chirps and dances about and has fluffed out but I just feel terrible because it is so big and feel like it will restrict her and she must be in pain, and NO!! I’m currently heating up a pad and covering her over😥
I am actually so gutted for her, I can’t stop crying because I feel so unprepared and hopeless

It's going to be ok. You've done all you can for her, even if she doesn't make it.
Do you have any molasses? The heating pad should be ok. Just make sure it doesn't auto shut off, or get too hot.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Just keep her warm and comfortable, do not cut the yolk off. It will either get absorbed or dry and fall off on its own. It looks bad now, but I have had several with this same issue grow up to live normal, happy lives.
You're going great!:hugs

Thank you, it’s just so hard seeing her so helpless, no 😥 okay, what will happen with the bubble? It’s starting to go hard but don’t think she could walk with it

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Just keep her warm and comfortable, do not cut the yolk off. It will either get absorbed or dry and fall off on its own. It looks bad now, but I have had several with this same issue grow up to live normal, happy lives.
You're going great!:hugs

Thank you, that’s a little bit of hope, you don’t realise how much you care for them until you literally can’t do anything else to help them 😭

Back
Top Bottom