Unacceptable Guest Dog

Pics

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
*** has lots of chickens. Swore up and down her dog was OK with chickens.
After an hour of telling her he wasn’t ok, and her saying she’s keeping extra special eye on him, I went to empty my bladder......

I’m down one bar rock chick. Broody has a bald patch from protecting chick. Dog went forcefully into her suv with explicit warning that if a paw hits my dirt it will be shot.

Why can people not have control over their dogs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news. Broody is back to herself, and chicks were stealing treats from my dog.
Also, don’t give the ‘bring it here’ command to said dog without verifying there isn’t a chick hiding behind her.
She brought me one very mad chick. Slightly slobbery, but otherwise unhurt.

Last edited:
Even if someone's dog is ok with THEIR chickens (or toddlers, or cats, or rabbits....fill in the blank), it doesn't mean it'll be ok with everyone else's......there are also so many other things:
-dogs don't know their own strength, and can totally accidentally hurt things
-sometimes they just try to play and play too rough
-lack of communication between different species can lead to violence
I'm so sorry about the loss of your chickie :( Hopefully *** will take the dog away soon. It's good that broody came out relatively okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone always says their dog or whatever would never hurt anything. That's because as far as they know it hasn't done anything when they've been watching it in their living room.

My neighbours' (on one side) dog killed the rooster we gave the neighbours on the other side a few years back. And who knows what would have happened if there hadn't been a rooster. Now that dog has died of old age and they have a new young dog. The other day the neighbour told me her dog "has been to visit my new chickens a couple of times already, and she would never hurt a fly". Right. This as the dog is running all over on its tie not listening to anyone. 🙄

That is incredibly ironic!
Have you tried talking to him instead of his wife?
They're both relatively stubborn but he is more reasonable. Both me and my fiancee have explained this to them that if they are going to bring their dog over it must be on a leash. Still nothing. Last time the brought it over my dog was in the fence and their dog came up to her viciously barking and growling. Before my dog attacked her through then fence my MIL quickly put her on a lease. She said "I dont know why they cant be friends" all disappointed. Heres why: your dog is untrained and is a butthead. Put it on a leash. Instead I said "thats why she needs to be leashed on our property"

I have this same problem to the point I've asked her not to bring her dog over. She does it anyway and insists that shes fine not being on a leash. Most of my chicks stay in the fence but my new barred rocks like to escape. I warned her that if her dog attacks my livestock I'll have to shoot it. She still brings the dog over. You cant teach an old dog new tricks if they walk on two legs. The only thing some people understand is consequences. This being said they were just in a park a couple of months ago with their dog on a leash and another owners dog was leashless and attacked their dog. My FIL shot that dog right in front of the owner. You would think they would understand better than anybody after that. But nope. People are the worst kind of animal

Back
Top Bottom