Unacceptable Guest Dog

Pics
It's not about our relationship but she is my future mother in law. My fiancee has also asked her not to bring the dog over. She also frequently comes over unannounced and uninvited. Sometimes she will give us a heads up that she is coming by...but usually after she is already on her way. We have both asked her NOT to do this and she does it anyway.
Look. I don’t want to get into an argument with you about relationships and all that but I’m 52 years old and I’ve been around the block a time or two and worked with the public many years. This situation is not necessarily about the bad behavior in the dog. It’s the disrespectfulness in the people. Your future MIL and FIL sound like they have no respect for you or your fiancé or your wishes. They want to be in charge all the time and they are going to do it right now with this unruly dog. Next it will be something else that suits them. You just wait and see. I don’t have anything to gain or lose by arguing with you or trying to prove a point here. This is advice to help you. You better either get out now or you both better move as far away from them as possible. Or you better prove your point now in a mighty way and shoot the dang dog the next time she brings it over unannounced and unbehaved and it destroys a piece of your property. If you don’t you will have heck to pay the rest of your married life with them as in-laws. You can take that to the bank.

Actually we might be lucking out on that fact. Word is they're buying an RV and they also plan to downsize their home so they might be moving. I definately appreciate your advice on this and you are correct. I know she doesn't respect us. Its her way or the highway. Shes gotten into an arguement with my fiancee because he was working on a project at our house and didnt want to come over to their house to help them with something. He eventually caved, dropped over there and spent HOURS over there helping them remodel their kitchen. Needless to say that our project got thrown by the wayside. Ever since then we talked about stricter boundaries and how he has to not cave on stuff. He initially argued citing "honor thy father and mother" and respecting his elders but I countered that if they have no respect for him then they arent "loving thy neighbor as thyself". He loves his parents but it's taken him a while to see what I see them doing. It's really unfair because they have such a wonderful son but they have no respect for him:hmm
You are in a really bad situation. It sounds like they managed to raise a great son who is going to be a great husband for you. I don’t understand folks like them but I have seen a lot of them and I don’t like their ways. Just be ever so careful and never let them live with you or you find yourself living with them. Never. I’m telling you it will be all their control of you. Do not allow that to ever a happen. You may find yourself dead. I am not kidding. They sound that way. I wish you the best and hope your wedding and marriage goes superb. Best of luck to you my dear and please take care of yourself!!

Wife and I decided on a quiet ceremony to honor our parents roles in our lives. My MIL grabbed onto it and before we knew it, the guest list was approaching 300.

I called the wedding off. We were renting from them. She kicked me out with 3 days notice. When I left, I took her daughter with me. We eloped and the rest is history. I called my mom and dad to tell them the news, they said congratulations and wanted to come see us in the weekend. My FIL congratulated us. My MIL said ‘Oh. OK. I gotta go.’ Didn’t speak to either of us for 6 months.

15 years together Nov 14th. She’s still worth it.

PS My mom and dad showed up with a big upright freezer for our wedding gift. Best present ever.
:hugs
Would be fitting for this to be the last post of the thread!

A happy ending, at least for this part of the story.
Well told!

Sadly we have had this problem many times. People saying that their dogs are fine and would never hurt anything and then let them off the leash even after we tell them that we would not like the dog running around. It's very frustrating and especially after you've asked them not to but they're convinced that their dog is an angel or something. I don't remember a time that a dog has not gone after our chickens and we have had countless dogs here. Thankfully we've only had one incident where the chicken has died and the other times we have been able to fix it but it takes days and so much work as I'm sure most of you know. I've had to care for about 5 of my neighbours chickens because the dog has been running outside with the chickens and of course it attacks them and we're left with taking care of it because they won't. I can't see an animal suffer like that so I'm always ready to help but it does get tiring when you're doing it often.

Next time we have a dog over I'll be even more strict about the rules because some people really need to understand the dangers with it. I've also had times where either people are walking their dog off leash or the dog escapes (we have a subdivision down our road and dogs get out all the time) and of course they head straight to our backyard where the chickens are. We haven't let our hens free range in a while (they have a big pen so they don't really need to) so they're generally fine but some dogs can easily jump the fence so that's why we're installing a higher and more durable fence. It's tough!

Back
Top Bottom