UNBELIEVABLE NEGLECT! POOR PUP!

mainchick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Southern CA
sad.png
I see sad things on a regular basis here at the shelter. We're lucky because we're not so "inner-city" that we get the extremes all the time. A puppy came in as a stray last week and her condition is appaling! How could anyone see this and not treat her? the pup is a big girl. At first we thought she was 6-7 months old. turns out that she is more like 3 months old. She is 41 lbs, and COVERED with demodex mange. Her skin is swollen, cracked oozing and bleeding. She is just a big ol' sweet thing, suffering. I could just smack her "owner" If I can't get a private rescue to take her and treat her, she'll be euthanized. It will take months to get her cleared up. check her pictures, WARNING they aren't pretty!! http://tinyurl.com/ba8hyt

Sorry to hear about the pup, she looks like she could be a real cutie if treated. This is one of the many reasons I quit working at my local shelter. It just goes all over me that people could do this kinda stuff to animals and get away with it.

Poor baby! I'll PM you the pics of my dog when she was brought into the clinic I worked at. It's amazing what people will do (or wont do ) . It took about 2 years before my girl had a full coat but she will always have immune system issues. I wish you luck finding someone to care for her.
hugs.gif

Thats really sad- but at least they turned her in so she can get help.
People just dont have money anymore to treat their pets. Its too bad they waited so long to give her up to get help.

Where I work, the first visit to find out if she had demodex, allergies, sarcoptes, etc would run them close to 400 dollars. Office call, skin scraping, bloodwork, mitaban dip and bath charge, preventix collar, steroid injection and antibiotic injection, then steroid and antibiotic to go home- probably more than 400, actually. Then three visits more for mitaban/medicated bath and one more skin scraping at 100 dollars each visit. It could easily cost someone a months house payment. People just dont have it to spare- its so sad.

We see more and more people coming in to my work, and they just cant treat their pets. They want to, and I feel terrible.
I wish they had a medical aid for animals.

How does a dog get mange? Is it caught or inhearited..

Just to play fair.. If we got a dog and it started getting a skin disorder that we would have to treat for the rest of its life.. We wouldnt be able to keep it either.. Not that we would have wanted to get rid of her but when we get a dog and the cost I am sure we would not be accounting for bills for everyday treatment of somthing.

My neighbor has a bull dog.. doesnt look like a pit but more of a very large white big headed thing.. not sure.. Just know he is bull dog..

Anyway this thing gets alergy shots all the time because his skin gets so pink and itchy.. They dont have any kids and she is a nurse and he is a fireman so I am sure in their finacial situation they can do it..

But if that happened to us and one of our pets had to have lots of money put into them, we would have to not keep her.. Keeping the water and electric running and paying our mortgage has to take priority.

She really didnt look under feed in the pics.. is she heathy other wise?

Mange is a parasitic infestationof the skin. Dogs that have a compromised immune system can't fight off the naturally occuring mites that live around their hair follicles and the parasites take over. Really bad mange is treated with antibiotics and special shampoos.

Many years ago in very rural areas where vets were few and far between and most farmers did their own animal doctoring dogs that came around with the mange or farm dogs that developed mange were sprayed lightly with a farm oil - it smothered the mites, sealed the open wounds, moisturized the dry patches and gave the dog a chance to heal. It worked every time.

Demodex is common in adolescent dogs, as said before most dogs can fight it off. It usually starts off in small patches around the head. If the owner had seen the patches and took her in to be treated, she could have had a head start on the situation. Unfortunately, she wasn't treated, so she has it bad. I didn't enclose the pictures that were of her legs that are actually oozing and bleeding. the skin has cracked open and it just drips in her kennel. When you pet her, she loves it and she tries to get more because she itches so badly. After your are done petting her, your hand is covered in blood and ooze.
She was a stray, no one claimed her. I am trying to get her some help but most likely, she will end up euthanized. It is a shame, her last days will be in a shelter intead of with her people. She is really large for a pup. 3 months and 41 lbs. I am hoping mastiff rescue might be able to take her. She is a mix, but we don't know for sure with what.

Unfortuanately if it a severe demodex problem even with treatment the pup may have problems off and on its entire life. Generalized demodex is a hereditary problem. All dogs and cats have a minimal number of mites in the skin that they can deal with.

Back
Top Bottom