Unceasing stretching of the neck while opening its mouth.

Maemia

Hatching
May 9, 2022
Northwest Canada
I have a 3 week old chick that I thought was dead but I picked it up and it is stretching out it’s neck and opening it’s mouth non stop.
It’s eyes remain closed almost always. It’s poofed out all it’s feathers. No weird poops that I’ve seen. Vent looks clean.
What could be wrong and what should I do?

It sounds as though it is gasping for breath. It may be dying, but you can try to offer it water with electrolytes by dipping it’s beak or dripping a drop of water to the side of it’s beak.

It sounds as though it is gasping for breath. It may be dying, but you can try to offer it water with electrolytes by dipping it’s beak or dripping a drop of water to the side of it’s beak.
I feel like if it were a breathing thing it would be dead by now. But I have attempted to give it water with vitamins and egg yolk (I’ll be getting electrolytes later I just don’t have them here.) and it’s been taking a little here and there.

Also, check its crop, maybe something is stuck.
I’ve checked it’s crop (best I know how to anyways) and I think it’s empty. I started trying to give it nutrients through liquid instead.
They have food and water in their brooder but apparently this little one hasn’t been eating it.

Back
Top Bottom