Unconventional Incubation of One Cracked Egg-Update, Aug 16-No Go, Dang It!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This was under my broody. Somehow, the big rounded edge became crushed in, about the size of a nickel-guess DH will listen to me when I tell him that broodies need to be out of the main coop to avoid this stuff.
roll.png
This is one of two eggs out of my only laying Delaware hen, Georgie. I'm pretty sure Ellie is dying so will never lay another egg. They are both approaching 6 years old, as is Isaac, the old man in my avatar painting. I wasn't sure he was fertile and I'm still not since his barred son, Deacon, is in that coop and could be the sire, but Ike makes sure as much as he can that Deacon gets no chance with the hens and so far, nothing incubated has been out of Deacon. I'm not really sure Deacon is fertile either, long story, he's defective in a couple of ways (Tiny the Terrorist's son). I almost didn't put Georgie's under Dottie because 4 eggs from my Blue Rock hens in that same coop were all non-fertile-Dottie tried this with those first and at Day 14 I had to toss them all. So, I was very happy when I saw Georgie's developing. Now, to see if they hatch and if Isaac or Deacon is the sire.
fl.gif
for Isaac to be!

My broody BR hen, Dottie, got a few eggs, two of them were Georgie's, last chance for a pure Delaware out of Isaac. I'm taking a chance since Georgie carries a dwarf gene and about 20-25% of her progeny are either dwarfs or have serious hock issues, probably a fallout from the gene as well. But, anyway, found one of the two crackled pretty good yesterday on Day 13. We've done heating pad incubation of a bantam egg when the same thing happened and the chick hatched, so we waxed the cracked area and put the egg in a box of shavings under a reptile bulb with a damp washcloth laid over it, trying to simulate the hen. Wish me luck!! Today is Day 14 and upon candling, veins are intact and chick is alive. I do have a Genesis incubator, but didn't want to drag that out and set it up for just one egg.

That thermometer is not my usual incubator one-it was just handy, not accurate enough for using in a bator, but fine for this setup. This says 105*, which is fine because the cloth is always draped over the egg and we use the eyedropper to dampen it on occasion.

****For those who wonder, we could not put the egg back under Dottie (dubbed Bigfoot, lol) because the shell was severely compromised and if she stepped on it, it would crush completely, not to mention, her direct body heat would melt the wax off the crackled area.

Last edited:
I've incubated cracked eggs several times. The first couple I used bees wax, the last few I used nail polish. None of them have hatched until the one that hatched yesterday.

I think one of the problems in the past was that I didn't let the seal dry completely before placed in the turner. This time I let the nail polish dry for a few hours and I still put a piece of paper on the crack when I put it in the turner. When I pulled it to move to the hatcher it was already pipping and a healthy chick is running around the brooder now.

I've incubated cracked eggs several times. The first couple I used bees wax, the last few I used nail polish. None of them have hatched until the one that hatched yesterday.

I think one of the problems in the past was that I didn't let the seal dry completely before placed in the turner. This time I let the nail polish dry for a few hours and I still put a piece of paper on the crack when I put it in the turner. When I pulled it to move to the hatcher it was already pipping and a healthy chick is running around the brooder now.

This egg and the last one we hatched were not just cracked, but had a pushed in crushed area. I almost tossed it out, but we decided nothing lost to try. I wasn't even sure if the membrane was broken, but since nothing was seeping out, decided it had to be intact.

We found a votive candle and lit it, dripped and rubbed the wax all over the crushed area into the cracks. I guess I need to buy new paraffin blocks since I think ours was lost when we had the house fire, but if the candle wax does it, it's as good as the paraffin for this use. If it had been anyone else's egg but Georgie's, I probably would have tossed it out rather than go to the trouble, but this is possibly the last chance for Isaac and Georgie to produce something, last chance for a pure Delaware.

The last chick out of Georgie was a handsome cockerel named Solomon that went to live in Tennessee with his new owner. He turned out so nicely, I guess it influenced me to at least try to save this one. The other one of Georgie's was also developing just fine under Dottie. I don't really have a place for another pure Delaware rooster here, but it didn't seem right not to at least attempt to get more from big old Ike and his last producing Delaware hen.

Last edited:
Well, DH probably killed it. He had the brilliant idea to do the heating pad thing so put one underneath the egg with a hand towel in between egg and heating pad, but a regular heating pad in low is still too hot. The last pad we had used was a malfunctioning one that barely worked. So, this morning, Mr. Dragon Hands said the egg was nicely warm underneath and the minute I felt it myself, I knew it was too hot. He always thinks things are cooler than they are. The veins are still there, but the chick is not moving, so I guess it's over for this one. I've cooled it way down, but it's most likely too late. I guess it could have been a lost cause anyway since I might have found the egg completely smashed under Dottie, but at least there was still a chance. Don't think so now. Will leave it, but I don't have much hope.

Here's some information that may guide you on the heating and cooling.

http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx
Thank you for that article. I wonder if the fact that the heat was contact heat and not air heat makes a difference.

I really really hope all your hard work pays off a fuzzy dividend...
fl.gif
Thank you!

ETA: I candled the egg this afternoon and I thought I saw movement of the chick. Could be just wishful thinking but since the veins are still intact, will continue the way I started with the reptile bulb method and see what happens. I guess it really depends on how long it was too hot. The article ChickenCanoe gave me did say that later in incubation, it's more likely the chick will survive than earlier.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have been reading the articles and post on hear for a while, but signed up for an account a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom