heatherlaw

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
Horseshoe Bend, Idaho
744F0A3F-C130-4E9E-B022-2C36D09EAB58.jpeg
28893E27-6BEE-43D1-9E4A-018419E4D4BA.jpeg
D8FBC32F-E8FB-4F3B-8BB5-621E0BBAD1F0.jpeg
My sweet 2 year old Wyandotte is sick but I can’t figure out what’s wrong. 2 months ago I was out in the coop and noticed she was weak and having trouble standing. After bringing her inside and giving her water and poly-vi-sol she perked right up and acted fine. She stayed in the house for two days while I watched her to see if something was wrong but she ate and drank well and tried vigorously to escape. I put her outside and she has been fine until yesterday.
I noticed that she was hanging with the flock but just stood all puffed up. She ate when I gave them their usual sunflower seeds but wasn’t acting very perky. I have a good head hen who made sure she got some but she definitely wasn’t fighting for them like the other girls. I picked her up and immediately noticed how thin she is. Her keel bone is very prominent and all her other bones stick out. I thought I could feel an egg but she hasn’t laid for months. I thought maybe egg binding so I gave her an Epsom salt soak which she seemed to enjoy and I tubed some poly-vi-sol and calcium into her. After her soak she ate a half cup of applesauce mixed with baby bird formula. She’s been eating and pooping just fine since. Her poop looks weird. Its dark colored and gritty. Very little white in it and pretty loose. The only other thing I noticed is that her skin looked red in places. Mostly on her belly and crop. Her feet also feel slightly swollen around her ankles. Any idea what’s going on with this poor girl?

E961EA78-89FD-457B-8897-663075E113E0.jpeg
A96C132B-CC3A-4AD0-9295-F2849495B5DF.jpeg

I feed a 16% layer crumble with oyster shell and grit available at all times. They get 1/2 cup BOSS once a day between 8 hens. I don’t usually worm them but I do check their worm count regularly. They get and herbal worm preventative once a month. They also get occasional veggies scraps. Maybe once a week.

View attachment 1240829 View attachment 1240830
I feed a 16% layer crumble with oyster shell and grit available at all times. They get 1/2 cup BOSS once a day between 8 hens. I don’t usually worm them but I do check their worm count regularly. They get and herbal worm preventative once a month. They also get occasional veggies scraps. Maybe once a week.
I would take her off the layer feed immediately. This is why.
Have you fed anything different lately? Green potato peels? Avocado?

She hasn’t gotten anything unusual lately and I’m pretty strict about not giving them foods that can hurt them. I had NO idea that layer feed was that lacking. Thanks for that article. I have been throwing around the idea of making my own feed for a while now. Guess its time to start. I’ve had what I feel like is an extreme amount of issues for someone just shy of 4 years into chickens. Maybe thats the issue. I try to do everything the “right” way, other than I don’t use chemical wormers. I just check their fecal counts and keep them on herbal treatments.

Mine is doing something very similiar, expect her poops are really runny, some bloody and lots of fluid. Your poops look very good compared to mine!

She hasn’t gotten anything unusual lately and I’m pretty strict about not giving them foods that can hurt them. I had NO idea that layer feed was that lacking. Thanks for that article. I have been throwing around the idea of making my own feed for a while now. Guess its time to start. I’ve had what I feel like is an extreme amount of issues for someone just shy of 4 years into chickens. Maybe thats the issue. I try to do everything the “right” way, other than I don’t use chemical wormers. I just check their fecal counts and keep them on herbal treatments.
This is my 3rd week of having my first chickens! :( She was sick when I got her. :(

Yours sounds like coci. I’d get her on corid right away. I have dealt with it too. Its a bummer having to go through that right away
The vet didn't find cocci! I was hoping it was that so I could fix her with some corrid. This is so frustrating! How is she doing today?

Back
Top Bottom