Undersized Chicks at 18 Weeks

All chickens continuing to grow. One of the Americaunas has seemed lethargic the last couple of days. I brought her into the house to day and checked her vent to see if there is any blockage, and there's not. I don't think she's been eating because her breast bone is prominent and her crop seems to be empty. Her beak is slightly open as if she's breathing through it. I set her up in a dog kennel we have with water and food. She's basically just standing, a little puffed up like they do when there's something wrong.

Not sure what else to do. I just felt I should isolate her so she doesn't feel like she has to pretend she's ok when she's not.
oh no :(
Any updates?

All chickens continuing to grow. One of the Americaunas has seemed lethargic the last couple of days. I brought her into the house to day and checked her vent to see if there is any blockage, and there's not. I don't think she's been eating because her breast bone is prominent and her crop seems to be empty. Her beak is slightly open as if she's breathing through it. I set her up in a dog kennel we have with water and food. She's basically just standing, a little puffed up like they do when there's something wrong.

Not sure what else to do. I just felt I should isolate her so she doesn't feel like she has to pretend she's ok when she's not.
Can you send some pictures of them?

Pictures of them posted earlier in this thread. They are much bigger now.
Bella seems better...eating and drinking but still breathing through her mouth. She’s not coughing, shaking her head or some of the other symptoms. There is an odd and slightly pulsating movement—up and down—of her tail. I have checked for vent blockage (Vaseline on little finger up vent) and all seems ok there.

Sad to say that little Bella died yesterday. I was able to get my small animal vet to prescribe some antibiotic powder to put in water, but it was too late. Before I even gave it to her she was wheezing pretty badly. Possibly it was a matter of her immune system not being strong because of that earlier feed that was out of date. She had not taken on as much weight as the others once I started giving the new feed. I'm treating the others prophylactically for respiratory infection, which I know some will disagree with. But in our small mountain community we don't have chicken vets or people who will do lab tests.

I do not recommend Dumor said:
I Just opened a new bag of Dumor that I purchased from Tractor Supply and it had a horrible, foul chemical/urine smell to it. I knew as soon as I opened the bag that something wrong, so thankfully I did not feed it to my chicks. As I dug around the bag to find the source of the smell, I located a large area or black mold. Looked like a rodent was sealed in the bag and rotted there. Would never buy this brand again!

Back
Top Bottom