Understanding Splits and Sex-linkage With Lacing Gene

This good chick was purchased with the four adult Silver-laced that I obtained. The breeder said they produce golds often but they feather in silver.my original pair does the same.

Silver Pullet:

0E4C2E95-65A0-43B1-AAA7-4783A59D77E9.jpeg
D3F1908A-A18F-4C20-8B24-DFA8033D3B80.jpeg

Gold Pullet:

EECFBCF6-029C-431D-B0D2-B0A2EA21B436.jpeg
DB1BE703-F7CB-404E-A7CC-826FDA7EECA2.jpeg

As you can see the down is gold, but the feathers coming in have quite a bit of silver on them.

That is blood. I scratched the crap out of my arm after cutting the door for the cage these two little ones and their 17 Lavender friends are living in outdoors.

So what does the gold diluter mean exactly? The chicks with the brown down aren't Silver-laced then? They are gold with a gene diluting it to appear gold? Is there a way to undilute it? Or to make it show better so they don't appear Silver as adults?

@Faraday40 this may interest you since you've produced some also.

That is blood. I scratched the crap out of my arm after cutting the door for the cage these two little ones and their 17 Lavender friends are living in outdoors.
All in the name of Science, Thank you.

So what does the gold diluter mean exactly? The chicks with the brown down aren't Silver-laced then?
Brian Reeder did extensive work on the nature of the Silver Phenotypes, he found out that the cleanest Silver phenotype carried gold diluters to prevent any rustiness on the roosters, when crossed and intercrossed the f1s he found many dominant and recessive type gold diluters, you may want to read more about it on his research here: http://brianreederbreeder.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-genetic-factors-of-silver.html

But this is the first time I see a gold pullet hatch and as she grows she starts looking like a pure Silver Pullet. I've seen that on Cream Crested Legbar pullets, but they are diluted twice by gold and barring.

Keep that pullet and cross it with her father, keep the gold looking chicks, some out to be males, let see how males will look, I suspect males will be Cream Laced instead.

So what does the gold diluter mean exactly? The chicks with the brown down aren't Silver-laced then? They are gold with a gene diluting it to appear gold? Is there a way to undilute it? Or to make it show better so they don't appear Silver as adults?

@Faraday40 this may interest you since you've produced some also.
I got a blue silver laced orp (project bird) from a breeder. She's very pretty, so i decided to try to continue breeding. Her lacing is OK but doesn't go completely around the entire feather. (some feathers are closer to spangled than laced.)
BTW- She looked awful as a chick but greatly improved over her 1st year.

This is Blizzard (growing up):
IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_3287 copy.jpg

Blizzard.jpg

She was bred to a very nice SLO roo and most of her chicks start out with a sort of chipmunk appearance. A few look like very dark SLOs.

Blizzard's chipmunk chicks turn out to be Blue SLOs. There is a bit of brown chick fuzz that disappears with the feathers..... Just like how the yellow chick down turns into white feathers. Blizzard also had the chipmunk look.
BSLO 3.jpg
IMG_2008.JPG

Blizzard's dark chicks look smokey brown/gray with a yellow mask. They initially feather in mostly black but the white center gets larger as they molt. In the end they get thick black lacing.
IMG_9773.JPG

Here's a reg SLO (from a diff hen) and a darker SLO (from Blizzard) from last summer:
IMG_0321.JPG
Oreo+DS 3.jpg
Oreo+DS 1.jpg
Reg SLO (has nice crisp lacing)
Oreo.jpg

Darker SLO (from Blizzard) She got her mama's size, but the lacing is not as pretty. However, she really shows off some nice beetle green iridescence.
Double Stuff.jpg

This year I was given a curve ball. The darker SLO pictured above was bred back to the father (who has great lacing but could use a little more size.)

I got this:
laced 4.jpg
IMG_6728 copy.jpg
IMG_6971.JPG

(The OEG is her adopted mama.)
IMG_7001.JPG

The gold pullet is still living with the bantams. Not sure if she's staying long term, but I'm too curious to see how she turns out. Her "gold" is sort of a buff color. I had no idea Blizzard carried gold, but this is the only gold I've hatched. I'm pretty sure the color came from Blizzard. I figure Blizzard came from a project breeding pen, so I guess I may get some surprises along the way.
IMG_7762.JPG

Last edited:
Either I think. Are not both Silver covering gold down? "Golden" laced expressed in cockerels. Or am I misreading these posts?

I've got the same thing in recent cross of Silver to Gold. Pencilled Rock not Laced Orp but same Silver with diluters and Gold.

Yellow legs in some of those birds suggests an outcross of breed to get that lacing. Cochin maybe.

Either I think. Are not both Silver covering gold down? "Golden" laced expressed in cockerels. Or am I misreading these posts?

I've got the same thing in recent cross of Silver to Gold. Pencilled Rock not Laced Orp but same Silver with diluters and Gold.

Yellow legs in some of those birds suggests an outcross of breed to get that lacing. Cochin maybe.
This one hatched April 15th, so I'm pretty sure on pullet. Her face got a little flushed as she ran from the camera, but there are no wattles yet. I'm also very sure about orpington (I got the egg from my laced orp pen & the egg looked like Blizzard's). Just not sure on the color & how it came to be. I haven't hatched any with yellow legs. The SLOs have a slight gray hue on legs after hatch that disappears by the 1st week. I suppose the orig breeder could have infused a little something to improve lacing.
IMG_7762.JPG
IMG_7763.JPG
IMG_7764.JPG
IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7767.JPG
IMG_7768.JPG

Back
Top Bottom