Unexplained death in 12 week old EasterEgger.

rreina

Hatching
Aug 6, 2017
Found my 12 week old Easter Egger dead in the coop this morning. She was acting completely normal yesterday and I couldn't find any sign of trauma. What could have happened? Is this kind of situation very rare?

It does happen now and then. I would go out and look at all poop for anything runny, foamy, bloody etc. Also check all birds for any bugs. Check the dead one over, look at the vent, check for bugs. Look for worms. Coccidosis is not uncommon at this age. But without any symptoms, its hard to say.

Welcome to BYC!

X2 on what andreanar said.

You can send her in for a necropsy and find out what really happened.

It does happen now and then. I would go out and look at all poop for anything runny, foamy, bloody etc. Also check all birds for any bugs. Check the dead one over, look at the vent, check for bugs. Look for worms. Coccidosis is not uncommon at this age. But without any symptoms, its hard to say.
Can't find anything out of the ordinary. No evidence of abnormal poop, on her or in the coop. Couldn't find any bugs on her or her flock mates. What kind of bugs am I looking for? How obvious? How common is Sudden chicken death syndrome (heart attack)? I'm sad but also bewildered and worried about my other chickens?

In a chick that young I don't think sudden death is that common, its usually due to cocci, worms, mareks...something. Look around vents and under wings and on feather shafts for any crawlies. I guess in your situation, I would do the wait and see what the next few days bring. Watch your chicks carefully for any weird poops, closing eyes, trouble walking, hunching over.

Back
Top Bottom