Unfertile Incubated Eggs - Can I feed to dogs?

southernhusky

Chirping
Aug 30, 2015
What would be the longest an egg can be in the incubator before you wouldn't feed it to a dog?

I know I've read of people that will even cook really well and eat 5-6 day incubated eggs that aren't fertile with no issues.....And I also know that 18 day incubated duck eggs are considered a delicacy(eww >.<)...

But where would you draw the line? I hate just throwing out a bunch of eggs that didn't hatch(not to mention its almost a week until trash day yucky smell >.<). My dogs eat raw chicken leg quarters and raw eggs in addition to dog food...And most dogs have a stomach of steel pretty much. Anyone ever fed older incubated eggs?

I wouldn't want my dogs to get sick, not worth the risk for me, so I never would, I would just bury them somewhere, we toss our unhatched eggs out into the field.

Yeah that is what I thought and have thrown unhatched eggs from my last 2 batches(and last time was 1 chick hatch out of 41, mostly duck eggs that had been washed, guess I should have known better). But I figured it was worth asking about.

It takes about 24 to 72 hours for bacteria to begin growing on culture (eggs can make great culture medium of bacteria has found a way to enter through the shell). I would probably hesitate to give dogs raw incubated eggs after 24 hours has passed.

I guess I'm either brave or stupid. I had eggs in the bator the full 21+ days that weren't fertile at all. I sniff tested them, no bad odors. I cracked them into a dish, no odor, they were runny but not offensive in any other way. fed some to the dogs, some to the chickens. Everyone lived, and they all love me
big_smile.png

I guess I'm either brave or stupid. I had eggs in the bator the full 21+ days that weren't fertile at all. I sniff tested them, no bad odors. I cracked them into a dish, no odor, they were runny but not offensive in any other way. fed some to the dogs, some to the chickens. Everyone lived, and they all love me
big_smile.png
My father-in-law worked in a hatchery many many years ago. He said that eggs that were found to be infertile after candling were sold to a bakery.

Interesting....I know I should probably just remove them by day 6 or 7 but some of these were way too dark to tell(course those all didn't hatch so I'm questioning the fertility) but hey they were free but possibly blue french copper maran, I was hoping.

Back
Top Bottom