Unhappy with Speckled Sussex - Looking for a different breed

how old is she? just wondering because I want to know if my EE is up to par.
She’s 5 1/2 now so takes long breaks now 😂🤣 but when she lays, they’re massive and she only really started slowing down like last year or maybe the year before so not till like 3 ha my other EE laid almost even through winter her entire life until I lost her last spring. She was the same age as the remaining one

She’s 5 1/2 now so takes long breaks now 😂🤣 but when she lays, they’re massive and she only really started slowing down like last year or maybe the year before so not till like 3 ha my other EE laid almost even through winter her entire life until I lost her last spring. She was the same age as the remaining one
mine is 5 and lays olmost every day still with fairly large eggs!

mine is 5 and lays olmost every day still with fairly large eggs!
Oh wow that’s awesome!! This one likes to take breaks for like half the year now 😂😭 but she lays well when she does lay so ❤️ My other one was like yours, still laying basically every day even at 5 years old

I recommend red sex-links! I have a cinnamon queen and an ISA brown and they lay really well! The CQ lays almost every single day and her eggs are HUGE! The ISA lays as a close second. They are quite hefty birds in my experience. My sapphire gem started laying really early and has consistent, big eggs.

So I wanted to go the route of the Speckled Sussex because they are touted as a dual purpose bird. After not being able to find a good hatchery, I took a chance from multiple and sorted the best I could. Turns out I have small birds that lay small eggs. Are they beautiful? Yes, but I don't care.

I am looking for a breed that lays at a minimum of XL (63g) eggs fairly consistently, gets large enough to eat (I cull my roosters for stock/soup) and is not expensive. I am not into rare breeds as I have too many predators and I like to be able to easily replace stock as needed. I live in Maryland and have semi cold winters w/ hot summers. So region specific would be even more ideal.

I'm currently leaning Barred Rock or Orpingtons, but I am tired of reading false narratives on the internet. I would like some commentary from you wonderful people.

Thanks in advance
Yes! Barred Rocks are great! They are kinda what you would call a "staple" chicken. I have them since I was little. They blend in with the wild, and they live through anything. Their eggs are a bit small at the very beginning, but pretty soon they start to largen. They are very nice sized eggs, and they lay ALL the time! Good cluck on your chicken journey and update on what you get!

I should have also asked in my original post, but in any of these breeds do you find the hens to go broody? It's actually a trait I would be looking for.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.
One of my Buff Orpingtons went broody a ton hahah she was hatchery but went broody so much. Her sisters not as much but some. Also believe it or not, Speckled Sussex are supposed to make great mothers from what I’ve heard. Mine’s a bit ditzy though and my Australorp actually adopted her chicks when she gave up after they were a few weeks old 😂🤣🤦‍♀️ Australorps are another suggestion btw. Great layers and get quite big for meat.

I actually have a SS or two that I might keep moving forward because they are so broody. I just wouldn't allow their eggs to stay under them because I'd be aiming for bigger birds.

I actually have a SS or two that I might keep moving forward because they are so broody. I just wouldn't allow their eggs to stay under them because I'd be aiming for bigger birds.
Where did you get your birds from? Small birds that are broody is not consistent with what they usually are.

Back
Top Bottom