Unique (?) problem with our german shepherd. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Aug 28, 2014.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our older GSD Jax tends to get ear infections in his right ear (3rd one and he's 5). This time around the vet put him on a 14 day antibiotic and ear drops. The ear drops are no problem, the capsules of the antibiotic are. Jax is too smart for his own good...we're talking about a dog so smart that he trained himself to be my physical assistance dog by the time he was a year old. Jax knows three languages....we started out only speaking to him in german, but he learned english, so we switched to pig latin; he figured that one out too. [​IMG]Anyhow, he's SMART.

He had 14 days total to take this antibiotic.

Day one - wrapped it in softened cheese.
    Day two - Jax figured out that every time he got a piece of cheese it gave him a bit of a tummy ache, so he started taking the ball of cheese, but eating carefully and spitting out the capsule.
    Day three - Switched to the dog treats made to slip a capsule in for the morning dose. Evening dose, Jax ate the treat, spit out the capsule.
    Day four - Switched to raw hamburger made into a meatball. Evening dose time, Jax ate around the capsule.
    Day five - Switched to chunks of hot dog, same result.

Jax is very well behaved, but he will not allow us to force it into his mouth. Pill "shooter" doesn't work either.

Any other ideas?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe you could open the capsule, and buy some of those beef gravy packets, cook some up, and put the meds in the gravy. Then offer him the bowl. He might just lap that up!

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    My dogs like to lose the pill in treats too sometimes. I have great results with chunky peanut butter. It already has chunks in it, so the pill/capsule is harder to detect. If this doesn't work, try this: open your dog's mouth, and put the pill as far back as you can on his tongue. Close his mouth, hold his nose up, and rub his throat. Keep it up until you see him swallow. Good luck!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Peanut butter - the sticky nature short circuits the "spit it out" reflex because they are too busy trying to lick the peanut butter down as opposed to other more solid wrap around foods, treats, pockets.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Peanut Butter is the best way to give dogs medicine. If you mix the medicine in with the peanut butter the dog can't separate it from the sticky gooey peanut butter or they don't even notice it if you hide it well enough in the peanut butter. It has always worked with are Cocker Spaniel.

7. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Also give the meds with treats of 3.
    Give a smaller bit of the treat without the pill.
    Then the pill/ treat combo and immediately after he takes that one offer another non medicated treat.
    Usually they are anticipating the next treat so they swallow the medicated one whole.
    Also works well if the have competition in the form of another dog wanting to get the treat. Good luck!
    Aprille

1 person likes this.
  8. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Forget about pills and drops and ask your vet for a BNT treatment. Best thing my vet has EVER started doing.

I own a Mastiff, and he gets ear infections at least once a year no matter what (every summer). The BNT treatment is an antibacterial, antifungal, and an anti-inflammatory all mixed into beeswax and then injected into the ear. I notice relief within HOURS of it being injected and it's cheaper than the pills (which I need a lot of for the giant beast).

1 person likes this.
  9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    fastest and simplest solution. Pry his mouth open, toss the pill into the back of his throat. Hold his mouth closed and blow lightly across his nose until he swallows.
    As soon as he does, praise him and give him an extra yummy treat like a piece of hotdog or something else that he only gets at pill time

10. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Highstreet, ear infections every summer are likely caused by allergies. Frequent summer ear infections are also common in dogs that do a lot of swimming - water in the ear leads to infections.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by