1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

University Chick Flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peckhamchick, Feb 21, 2007.

1. peckhamchick

peckhamchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    Hi everyone. I am so happy to announce that as of Monday, the University of Rhode Island will have a brand new flock of chicks at Peckham Farm. It is the first time in a number of years that we've had a flock, and we are all so excited. The introduction of the chicks is a nice way to "round out" our farm, which already has resident groups of pigs, tons of sheep, and some dairy calves, not to mention the world's best mouser, Sophie the cat. [​IMG]

I'm sure that I'll be relying upon all of your stories and advice to complement the instructions of our faculty, and I hope to have some pictures to post somewhere soon.

-Kate Hoffman
    Veterinary Technician
    URI Animal & Veterinary Science Student

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC and,

hip hip hooray!

We're always looking for avian vets - in particular vets who understand chickens as pets! Glad to see at least one school is addressing it.

Looking forward to seeing your set up and I'm sure questions, answers, and information in general will go both ways!
    Sandra

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Kate, welcome to BYC. Please keep in touch and let us know what breed of peeps you have on the farm.

bigzio

4. peckhamchick

Feb 16, 2007
    Hey everyone,

Tomorrow's the big day! (Monday) Our chicks will be arriving, and I'm sure the reality of not having had a flock before will hit us! Hopefully all will go smoothly. [​IMG]

On a side note, I just got back from The University of Pennsylvania State (Penn State) where my team and I took part in the NorthEast Scholastic Association (NESA) Agricultural Competition. For most of us, it was our first visit, and I am so proud of my teammates, many of whom are freshmen. We took overall second place out of eleven schools and there were some very bright shining stars who were awarded individual recognition.

One portion of the competition was Quiz Bowl, and there were many poultry questions. I am so glad that we're getting this flock because we've all been brushing-up on our chicken "trivia," and it helped us to get a good score.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Kate

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Kate,

Welcome to the forum! Yes, please keep us posted with information and pictures.

Pretty exciting stuff!

7. peckhamchick

Feb 16, 2007
    No baby chicks on Peckham Farm today [​IMG]

This is only the third day all winter that it's snowed here, and it was enough to disturb our delivery. Hopefully the little peepers are ok. Naturally, the delay has us concerned for their welfare.

As far as breed is concerned, we've ordered Rhody Reds (of course!) What's really interesting though is that our faculty advisor is concerned with the number of breeds that are endangered. He's implementing a program so that the university can help to safeguard the genetics of various breeds by maintaining a healthy population. I believe that he said the other breed we're starting with is a Delaware.

As a side note, I first became interested in chickens when a runaway Andelusian Blue made herself at home in my front yard last winter. I have no idea where she came from; there's not a farm anywhere near where I live in the suburbs. I can only imagine she was someone's pet. She set-up residence in the yard, and we provided outdoor shelter for her when we were expecting a storm, and decided that we had become responsible for her care and feeding, etc. We let her roam, because we felt it was sort of her right to do so. It turned-out to be the ultimate downfall though because after about six months of care, my partner, James, saw her being taken away by a hawk or another bird of prey. Despite his best efforts, we couldn't get the bird to let her go. It's the natural order, I suppose. I try to think of the baby hawks that got to eat that day, who might have starved otherwise. This flock feels like a really good way to re-live the friendship we had with our girl, Holly.

Our hen house is all ready to go, complete with rounded corners, heat lamps and very professional air handling system for warmth, and some feeders. Hopefully the babies will arrive safely tomorrow. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

-Kate

P.S.- Thanks for the congratulations, I am still stunned! [​IMG]

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Congrats at winning at penn state! My daughter is actually going to attend there next year in their ag program. She's trying to decide between poultry or dairy. I hope your chicks arrive safely soon.

9. peckhamchick

Feb 16, 2007
    Had a great conversation with my faculty advisor this morning, "They're all here and they're all alive, and they're doing just fine."

Kinda' sums it up... [​IMG]

All the little fluff-faces have settled into their new homes and are having a world of fun eating mash, drinking water, chirping away, and loving the heat lamps! They wouldn't all stand still and pose for a picture, (duh!) but I managed to get most of them into one frame.

Our "Broiler Babies" (Plymouth Rock/Cornish Game Crosses)
    [​IMG]
    Our Layer Birds (Rhode Island Reds, Blue Andalusians, Barred Rocks, Delawares, Anacuras)
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to see them all again tomorrow.

10. peckhamchick

Feb 16, 2007
    All the babies are still looking great. Is it possible that they've actually grown overnight?! Ha ha...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by