UNKNOWN BABY BIRDS.

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
My brother brought me 3 baby birds, he found in the middle of the field where he works where they were gonna disk the field within a hour, he brought them to me ive been feeding em chick starter, and dropped a couple pieces of cracked corn in their water to teach em to drink they've been fine for 2 days now, eating and drinking on their own, but is there anything else i should do?

Anyone know what kind of birds they are?

32404_chick4.jpg

32404_chick5.jpg

32404_chikkkkk.jpg

Aww they're cute! Those are called Killdeer. They nest in fields and tall grass on the ground. The eggs are almost impossible to find because they are in camo
tongue.png
The babies are too for the most part. The parents will often play hurt when predators come around, to lure them away from the nest. Sadly, those nests are often stepped on or mowed down by people who don't even notice them there
sad.png

Killdeer! They hatch out like chicken chicks. Ready to run about following their parents and finding their own food. I'd probably use gamebird feed if possible but they should do fine on chick starter temporarily. Basically treat them like quail chicks. However it is highly illegal to posess these guys. Not to say it hasn't really tempted me to try hatching some.
tongue.png
I'm not sure how you would train them to be released back in to the wild and at what age. I would call a wildlife center or rehabber who should be able to take them and legally raise and release them properly.

I would definitely call your local wildlife rehabber. I love how the babies are colored just like the adults. Shame he took them, Im sure mom and dad werent too far off. I understand why he did it though. Good luck with them.

ETA: I would put them on paper towels. The food will easily fall through whatever they're on. Is it some sort of nest? Killdeer dont nest like that, they just lay their eggs on the ground, from what I've seen, and I've seen my share of Killdeer nests.
lol.png

Last edited:
I agree, i would check a wildlife rehab- but for now this site has good info on a feed mix, http://starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm, it is what i use for most my rescue birds- since they all need a high protien diet the first few weeks, even seed eaters do- they are so cute- i've never seen their chicks before- here is some basic info from that site

Recipe: Handfeeding Mixture

1 cup soaked dog/cat food
1/4 cup of applesauce
1 hard boiled egg
Avian vitamins (follow dosage on package)
Around 750 mg calcium (I use Tums Smooth Dissolve tablet) ground to powder and dissolved in a little water.
Water

Mix all ingredients together, and add enough water to make it the consistency of cooked oatmeal

When feeding small babies, use something flat such as McDonald's coffee stirrers, chop sticks, popsicle sticks, or a straw with the end cut off to make a scoop. The handle of a plastic spoon works well for older birds.​

Ok thanks, and yea i have paper towels in there under their food and water and half the side of the tank, i just put the straw in there for something to catch the heat so they dont get cold

Killdeer are not like other wild bird chicks you will find. They do not need hand feeding and should not be fed the same as starling/robin/any other altrical chick you can name. They are like quail or pheasants. They hatch ready to run and follow their parents around eating bugs, grass seeds, etc... that they pick up themselves. Game bird feed should be perfect. Just feed them like you would any chicken or quail chicks. Scatter a bit around on the paper towels for them to peck until they get the idea and then leave a dish free choice. I would just avoid medicated starter feeds since I doubt anyone knows how it would effect them.

Yes, as above posters have stated...killdeer

I am a wildlife rehabber - I can get a # close to you if you want to send them to one for rehab/release. Just give me a PM.

If they have made it this long with you in your care, most likely you are good and they are going to survive. I would get them some insects to eat on as well as that is closer to their natural diet. I would use the gamebird as well. PM me if you need any info.

Cute little things.

Most wildlife isn't in need of rescuing when most think they are orphaned. It happens alot and the folks really mean well and want to help. If an animal isn't visibly injured or distressed then most likely it should be left alone.
smile.png

The tiniest one died the day after I made this post, I decided to hand raise them myself, ive had them for 2 weeks now and their doing great and gettin feathers now and extremly active, Here are some recent pics of em (not good pics cuz i used phone cuz my camera quit)
he.gif

32404_chick11.jpg

32404_chick8.jpg

32404_chick6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom