Barred rock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barred birds are blacks chicks, yes, but they have distinct "head spots" from hatch ...which is absent in this chick indicating no barring genes present. Chick is a black breed, not barred
20160506_082339.jpg
My barred rock in front. Note the barring. :jumpy

That's probably why. TSC is notorious for mislabelling chicks. You probably got Jersey Giants and not Australorps.
Yep, which 8....i s why having the knowledge of the little differences, like skin color, can be so helpful :)

Only one is really big. The other isn't so big.
Hatchery stock are often very disappointing when compared to the breed standard, nature of being bred for quantity and production over quality and adherence to breed standard. You should see exhibition orpingtons, as an example, compared to hatchery orps......the former are big, beautiful beasts that dwarf the latter.

That's probably why. TSC is notorious for mislabelling chicks. You probably got Jersey Giants and not Australorps.
I feel this is what happened to us, but at Murdoch’s, in Missoula, MT. Last year we thought we were getting a Welsummer and she turned out to be a he and a Road
island red. This year, a jersey giants/austrolop (we shall see...) instead of a barred rock. Annoying.

Back
Top Bottom