Unknown Bantam Roo Please Help

Quote:
I agree, his feet don't look normal----I think mites also.
hmm.png

Yes I know his feet/legs look horrible part of it is mud as they love playing in the little mud puddle where the hose leaks (These are my little rescued birds) they came from horrible conditions and have come leaps and bounds from what I got them, he had caked balls of stuff on his toes about 3" across, I've been using mineral oil on his legs to help get rid of whatever that was, I wasn't sure mites but was thinking so. I've only had them for a little bit so not much known about them.

We also rescued 2 little silkie hens who actually lost most of their toes unfortunatly (but are doign quite well in their own pens and will stay here for the rest of their lives) and 2 little cochins, unfortunatly the little Roo did not make it. The hen we managed to save.

Last edited:
It looks nothing like a D'Uccle cross. No feather feet, no beard/earmuffs, completely wrong body type. No D'Uccle anywhere in that bird; D'Uccles are by far not the only breed that comes in this color.

It's a Dutch bantam.

and just for the record all of his toes are in-tact and not broken or crooked, he is on a 1" square peice of wood that I am using as a temporary perch in their pen where they are quarintined until I know the mites/whatever are gone off their legs and that they are fully healthy and can join the rest of my flock. Again these 4 (and 4 others not pictured) are/were my rescue chickens... we adopted these birds from deplorable conditions and are doing our best to try to get them healthy again.

if anyone has any helpful advise on mites I'd love to hear it but pointing it out over and over again is not very helpful
sad.png

Thus far we have them on probios in their water, feeding Layena mixed with a tiny bit of corn to help them get some weight back, and mineral oil for the legs
big_smile.png

Quote:
I find submerging the feet in baby oil helps
smile.png

It suffocates the mites and sooths the skin/scales (the leg mites can be quite painful/irritating to the bird).

looks nothing like a d'uccle.

I agree he looks dutch, or a dutch X OEGB possible.

He is quite cute.

Good luck on getting these guys good and healthy. I agree with others, scaly leg mites - oil (baby oil, veggie oil, vasoline) - clean the legs, use an old toothbrush and be gentle - lightly scrub with some soapy water to decake and clean the legs as well as you can, and then apply baby oil or something to the legs. do this for about a week, and then slowly the damaged scales will heal once the mites are dead and gone.

Back
Top Bottom