Unknown disease! Please help

AndersonHens

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
I apologize in advance if i dont do this right. this is my first time posting on any kind of forum.
I have 24 layers ranging from 12 months to 28 months. Half the flock are gold sex links we got from a rescue farm over a year ago and the other half are a variety of breeds. About a month ago, 1 died without any visible sickness. No poop problems, no lethargy or swelling. They are active in the yard and seem to be eating and drinking well. When we found it, it's rectum was gaping open and bloody. There was a 3 in egg in the box so we assumed it got egg bund or died trying to pass the egg. Since then, we've lost 3 other hens with the same symptoms but no eggs so now I'm thinking its some kind of disease. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

I apologize in advance if i dont do this right. this is my first time posting on any kind of forum.
I have 24 layers ranging from 12 months to 28 months. Half the flock are gold sex links we got from a rescue farm over a year ago and the other half are a variety of breeds. About a month ago, 1 died without any visible sickness. No poop problems, no lethargy or swelling. They are active in the yard and seem to be eating and drinking well. When we found it, it's rectum was gaping open and bloody. There was a 3 in egg in the box so we assumed it got egg bund or died trying to pass the egg. Since then, we've lost 3 other hens with the same symptoms but no eggs so now I'm thinking its some kind of disease. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
When you say rectum was gaping open,do you mean vent area and was there a tear or was the vent prolapsed(exposed,hanging out)? Did all your hens die the same way,with the vent torn or hanging? If your answer is yes,vent was hanging out,then you are probably dealing with vent prolapse. If the vent has prolapsed,and exposed the other chickens will peck and pull out the vent/intestines etc.that is what chickens do,they pick at blood,wounds,etc.

Here is a link,look at photos and see if this is what happened.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited:
I agree that it sounds like your hens were having prolapse. Many of the high egg production hens will become egg bound or have internal laying issues that can result in the prolapse of their vents. It can happen again after treatment.

Tenchicks, there were no signs of prolapse. When I cleaned up the, it was just the vent area open about 1.5 inches. I could look in and observe the intestinal wall but nothing was extruding past the vent opening. On the last chicken of the three, there were signs of pecking but it was external around the vent and I think it was after the fact. Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom