Unknown Predator.

Found some more evidence when I went over there. They already disposed of the bodies of the chickens, unfortunately. However, I did find a lot of evidence. I believe it is a raccoon.
D5A6DD5B-B6D3-4641-A9D3-926AD36D44BC.jpeg

Here is the run. Covered, everything is closed off EXCEPT for a spot I found.

5B7EB7D1-31DE-4FB3-B434-2BBC3C20C843.jpeg

Here is the crime scene.

7250B3FD-8CCD-4BEC-AA9C-E3608B56B63C.jpeg

Close to the crime scene, I found this part of the run that can be pushed open. There are a lot of feathers on the other side near here. This leads me to suspect that the culprit is getting in and out through here.

D7CB5B01-8417-4E4B-95CF-E8304FC54ADB.jpeg

Here is the exact location of that spot.

There’s also a trail of feathers outside the run.

I’m pretty sure it’s a raccoon, but I’m gonna set up my trail camera tonight to be sure.

Jared

So did they change anything, such as closing that huge gap in the run fence you found, or did they decide feeding the raccoons last night was a good strategy because there's a dead bird in that game cam photo from last night...?

I'm wondering if they have a strategy here because paying you to sweat your butt cheeks off one night to try to shoot a raccoon in the dark isn't a viable solution.

They need to shore up the giant weakness(es) staring them in the face. I have fun trapping and hunting raccoons, but when it comes to protecting chickens, prevention will win them the war.

I agree with you, but it’s not my choice. It’s my friends choice, I was posting on her behalf, as I said in the first post.

However, I can help her get that run more secure.

I’ll take care of that when I go over tonight.

So did they change anything, such as closing that huge gap in the run fence you found, or did they decide feeding the raccoons last night was a good strategy because there's a dead bird in that game cam photo from last night...?

I'm wondering if they have a strategy here because paying you to sweat your butt cheeks off one night to try to shoot a raccoon in the dark isn't a viable solution.

They need to shore up the giant weakness(es) staring them in the face. I have fun trapping and hunting raccoons, but when it comes to protecting chickens, prevention will win them the war.

Back
Top Bottom