Unknown Problem with Quail

Jan 16, 2021
Kempner Texas
I have about 30 Cortex Quail that are housed in a large walkin coop together. We are use to our Quail going through molting but this problem seems different. The backs of some of them are very ruffled and some spots to the point of no feathers. I am posting a photo of a female Quail I have separated into a pen by it self. She is eating and drinking just find and still laying eggs.
But in the walk in the past 3 days we have lost 1 Quail each day with the same symptoms as she's. I now only have maybe 2 left that have this same look. The rest some are going through normal molting. Any idea's

Attachments

• 20231006_195117.jpg
    20231006_195117.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 84
  • 20231006_195054.jpg
    20231006_195054.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 19
How many quail total are in the cage together?
She looks over mated to me.

I had a female like this i think the other was picking at the feathers since this feed now the protien isnt as high as listed for sale my bag is suppose to be 22% and bag saids 20% im payingmore for less now. So i moved her with another group and pins are showing

I had a female like this i think the other was picking at the feathers since this feed now the protien isnt as high as listed for sale my bag is suppose to be 22% and bag saids 20% im payingmore for less now. So i moved her with another group and pins are showing
Could it be mites?
I also have about 30 quail and the exact same thing was happening to them. At first I thought my males were overbreeding the females but then I noticed it was happening to the males too. So then I thought it was just a bad molt as the temperatures in California in summer were often in the 100s in my area. also saw birds pecking a each others balding spots. Searched for mites and lice and nothing. Then one morning one of my males was missing ALL his tail feathers. Poor thing looked like a plucked chicken butt. So I thought, well it’s time for their dip anyway so each of my birds were submerged (except for head) for 30 seconds in a pyrethrin dip. Two weeks later everyone has beautiful feathers growing in. I never saw any mites or other kind of bug on them and maybe it’s just coincidence but it seems to have helped. A lot

Back
Top Bottom