Unknown rooster death/pasty butt??

madsnbot

Songster
Jun 16, 2022
Okay so my rooster just recently died and i’m not sure why. He’s around a year old and had been acting weird the past few days. He was acting lethargic and tired. I didn’t notice him not eating/drinking but I don’t think he was doing much of either. A few days ago i decided to take a look at him and notices his butt was full of poop, around and inside like pasty butt. We soaked him and wiped most the poop out. He felt pretty skinny and his crop was empty. I separated him from the rest of the flock and the next morning I found him dead. This is baffling to me because I’m not sure if it was pasty butt or something else. I know it’s very rare for older chickens to get pastybutt so i’m not sure. None of my other chickens are acting sick as of now. Any ideas??

It is hard to know what he died of without having your state vet do a necropsy on his body. You could also do one at home, and it might tell you if he had a blocked or non-functioning gizzard, or a worm blockage. The state vet necropsy is more thorough and includes tissue samples and labs. Do you have other roosters or hens who might have kept him from food and water? Chickens can become constipated, and that could have been a problem. He might have had something else wrong, but hard to know. Sorry for your loss.

It is hard to know what he died of without having your state vet do a necropsy on his body. You could also do one at home, and it might tell you if he had a blocked or non-functioning gizzard, or a worm blockage. The state vet necropsy is more thorough and includes tissue samples and labs. Do you have other roosters or hens who might have kept him from food and water? Chickens can become constipated, and that could have been a problem. He might have had something else wrong, but hard to know. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you it’s just hard to determine what was wrong with him. I don’t want something to spread to the rest of my chickens mostly. I won’t be able to do a necropsy on him. I don’t think my other chickens were keeping him away from food or water but you never know. I just didn’t notice and i’m not always the one who feed them. Thank you though!

I wonder if the feed had something to do with it. They all eat a laying feed so many he had too much calcium..?

The calcium should not have been a problem with his pasty butt, but high calcium when used with non-laying chickens can possibly cause gout or kidney issues. Are your other chickens all acting normally, eating and drinking?

The calcium should not have been a problem with his pasty butt, but high calcium when used with non-laying chickens can possibly cause gout or kidney issues. Are your other chickens all acting normally, eating and drinking?
yes so far they’re all acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom