Unsocial barred rocks

3rocksandme

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
Brookline, NH
We are new to chicken raising and have had a rough start. We started with 17, lost 4 to hawks (presumably) and 10 to a raccoon. We have 3 or our original batch, now 8 weeks old (Please rest assured we have made changes and reinforcements to our coop and run since these attacks). After the raccoon attack we got 5 pullets off a close friend who had the same breed right around the same age, give or take a week.

Our original 3 birds are awesome. They are like dogs, the run up to fence to great you, they jump right on you when you go in. Let me pick them up, etc etc. The other 5 are very stand offish and after 3 weeks, they don’t come near me. I have tried hand feeding them. Most will eat of out of my hand but are very jumpy, and will scatter if they see you reaching towards them.

My question is, how can I get these chickens to socialize and be comfortable with my family and I?

We got 6 production reds at 3 months old. they are 22 weeks and are just starting to act like they like us. It takes time. My daughter goes out everyday gives them treats and talks to them they are now starting to let her pick them up and some will sit on her lap now. With me they will let me pet their wattles and necks but thats it. Give them yime they will come aroud. Oh by the way we got our first 2 eggs from them today
ya.gif

I guess I am just impatient. I so want to be their friend and 3 weeks seems like a long time. I will keep at it. Handing feeding them. I sit inside the run and talk to them. The original 3 hop all over me and the others give my stink eye and/or pecks.

Back
Top Bottom