Unsure about food ...

ashleigh92

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Redcar, England
Hi i have a silkie cross and shes approx 5 months old now and last week she ran out of feed. She was still on chick crumbs as advised by my local store who said i should keep her on that till she lays however i bought something different this time and it was for 'young chickens' since swapping her food over i went away and my friend kept an eye and she come back huge! Shes totally ballooned and since been back at home shes no longer eating it and when putting extra food out shes starving and cant get enough but wont touch this new food. What food can i buy her? Can she start having layer food? Our shop only stocks chick crumbs, the young bird food and layer pellets. What should she be on? She loved chick crumbs but i dont think my local store knows all that much tbh i felt she was too old to still be having chick food.
Ahhh some help please. I hope i dont sound daft but im worried about her :(

As long as the chick food isn't medicated, then it isn't a problem. It sounds like your friend was giving her a lot of extras. That may be why she is holding out, for the good stuff.

Ahh smart! ;) yer when I went to pick her up she was just finishing off some goodies lol. Thanks for your input. Is she still to young to start on layer pellets?:rolleyes:. She still seems very little though compared to other birds her size. :rolleyes:

Silkies one o those breeds that the on set of laying can vary according to strain. That also applies their size. I would hold off on the layer till she lays. No reason to rush out and buy layer. Just finish the the feed she has and allow her access to a calcium supplement.

I have 2, 3 week old silkies.. When can I start giving them treats? What can I give them that they'll like? These are my first chicks

Welcome to BYC.
I like to wait till they are at least six weeks till I start to give treats and only in limited amounts. Keeping them on the starter insures that they are getting all that they need during the critical quick growth period. Their mother would have them out eating anything that was available on the ground if they were free ranging and somehow do a better job then us smart people. So in reality they could have treats now if they have grit to grind it.

Thanks! It seems everything I read says something different- are there any fruits/veggies that they particularly like/are good for them? (For future reference)

They are omnivores like us so just about anything we can eat they can. You just have to give it to them and see if they eat it. May have to try a food a couple of times till they actually try it, Sometimes they have no idea that something different can be eaten.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom