Unsure of prognosis...( excuse my autocorrect!)

Elwswa

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2020
I posted about a month back, we had decided to hatch some Indian runner ducks.

Well 3 hatched and are absolutely fantastic and healthy. Unfortunately one has two deformed feet, I took a video and took a couple of photographs. Yesterday the “club foot” was worse but can now be straightened since , I
E51CB8FC-8537-4909-9EB5-4940988BEA55.jpeg

Was hoping to splint it, but I’m severely worried about the other leg and I’m not sure what to do. Could he/she survive a happy life with one the one foot, if we manage to fix it? Or isn’t this inhuman to expect it to try?

The right leg worries me and I’m not one to give up but I don’t want to upset or stress the baby or let it suffer by keeping trying.

Any suggestions? It was hatched yesterday and it didn’t do it alone. It was trying to hatch for two days and broke through the shell but after hours it just couldn’t get out. I my partner opened the shell partially to make it easier but although he did break free he was stuck to his shell by his legs.

Just need ideas and I do believe his is partially to do with the incubator as the temp was wrong on it for a while and I found out after buying more digitalis and placing them inside.

I’ve only added the photos and the video upsets me 😔 seeing the poor thing unable to walk. I can upload it if needed though.

Im not expert so I’m hoping someone hasn’t good advice. We are going to the vets Monday, if he can wait that long.

Attachments

• 31FA5A2D-A5EF-49D5-A18B-B4CB14B261F2.jpeg
    31FA5A2D-A5EF-49D5-A18B-B4CB14B261F2.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 747B4B71-1EAF-45B7-9587-8BC8659B1574.jpeg
    747B4B71-1EAF-45B7-9587-8BC8659B1574.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 99C0B647-75D9-442F-B2F0-3EA0B9841D9E.jpeg
    99C0B647-75D9-442F-B2F0-3EA0B9841D9E.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 198C050E-634E-464F-984E-3F3A92F0B68C.jpeg
    198C050E-634E-464F-984E-3F3A92F0B68C.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 12
So the twisted leg can be moved back into place? If so I definitely think its worth a try for the little one, If it's just got twisted during hatch a splint might put it back into place over time, If it is a genetic deformity I would think you would have a lot harder time doing so. If he were mine I would keep an eye on him till Monday and see what the vet says. Everyone will have their own opinion on what needs to be done, but you are the owner you have the best judgment.

Maybe if you can gently place the leg in normal position you can use vet wrap and wrap the leg to stay in normal position. Just don’t wrap to tight and cut off circulation. You can make a shoe to keep feet flat. Cut a butter container in shape of the foot wrap in vet wrap or tape then place the foot on top then wrap the foot to the shoe. I hope your little one can be help it’s a precious duckling!

Unfortunately I think it was possibly genetic, the foot can be straightened but the other leg, it’s hard and stiff and stuck/bending the wrong way and up over the ducks back. I was hoping we could do something but he now has a problem with his neck. He or she’s can’t straighten it, it’s curled all the way to the side which I think may be due to damaging itself trying to stand, just flops around looking very pitiful. Can’t be trusted with constant water due to safety reasons possible risk of drowning. The splint I managed for the curled foot, but the other leg I don’t think anything can be done for. It’s solid stuff, unlike the other and it seems to have bones and joints in the wrong places.

. I’m having to hand feed and water it, so it’s doesn’t starve and although it loves the feed time I’m worried it may be a lost cause. It’s a lovely little thing too.

Thank you all for the replies though!

and I'm wondering since it just hatched yesterday maybe it just needs a little time? IDK but maybe? Where are you located? I've had some that had rough hatches and looked like they might not make it but given a day or so things straightened out.

I’m in the UK, I’ve not given up hope, hoping it straightens out after a few days, it’s going on some vitamins and being hand fed and cleaned (since it can’t help but do it all over itself..) I’m trying to encourage it to straighten the legs and foot out, and hopefully if I can work out what’s wrong with it’s neck, (my last comment) then maybe that can be fixed too

Back
Top Bottom