UNSWEETEN APPLE SAUCE....

CatCobb1983

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Gates,TN
My dads gets a hole lot of unsweeten apple sauce and gives it to me so I'm wondering is there something I can make with this..Oh yeah we like ares sweet....Any Ideas will be great?

Thanks,
Cat

Hey Cat,

You can do alot with apple sauce, sweet or not. Instead of using oil in your cake receipe you can use apple sauce. My kids also love it in pancakes.

weve always had it unsweetened, just used to it i guess. you can make applesauce cake or put it in oatmeal. Add it to meatballs or meatloaf to up the nutritional level with grated vegetables. You can freeze or can it for later use.

I go out of my way to get unsweetened, but I can't see why it wouldn't be okay to swirl in some honey or sugar (simple) syrup. You could even swirl in some caramel sauce and it would taste like a caramel apple!

Make some homeade apple butter with it. Nothing better. Here is a recipe that is easy and delicious.
Crockpot Apple Butter

12 medium Granny Smith or other cooking apples, peeled and cut into fourths
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Mix all ingredients in 5-6 qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until apples are very tender. Mash apples with potato masher or large fork. Cook uncovered on low hear setting 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick. Cool about 2 hours. Spoon apple butter into container. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Makes 4 cups apple butter.
Enjoy:)

We use unsweetened here, but my 6yo doesn't like it, so I just sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on hers and it's fine.

We also add to baked goods instead of oil.

Add to oatmeal, yummmmm!

In the winter my favorite dessert is home canned unsweetened applesauce heated with Red-Hots candies until theya re dissolved and eat the applesauce warm.

Or heated as above and poured over plain white, yellow or pound cake.

Back
Top Bottom