Unwell chicken uncertain Diagnosis

Feb 13, 2021
I have hen that yesterday looked fluffed up pooping water to clear completely she ate a whole egg to herself she had normal breath I gave her apple cider vinegar as a natural anti fungal she went 12 hours no food no water but I let her eat this morning her crop still had stuff in there but it was harder than last night she’s eating now foraging walking a lot more then yesterday she doesn’t feel egg bound her belly is firm but soft now she’s pooping white liquid I’ve been massaging her crop and watching her she only wants water as of right now I took it away / we are in the garage please leave suggestions below because I’m trying everything I can I just wanna get her feeling better

Don’t let her eat anymore; separate her with only water until the crop is functioning normally again. After another 12 hours with no food off her some plain Greek yogurt and a little scrambled egg - absolutely no carbs right now as sugar feeds yeast infections (aka - sour crop caused by an impacted crop - the food doesn’t go down and it ferments in the crop). I would also add crushed garlic to the water, which is another anti fungal. Do not try and vomit the chicken - this should only be done as a last resort, and even veterinarians need to practice extreme caution bc vomiting the chicken can cause it to aspirate.

Right now she’s in the garage in a box with hay with the light I took her water away because she would not stop drinking it she was constantly drinking and wouldn’t step away she did have some oats from last night on the ground other than that maybe a little grass do I just keep her seperated for another 12 hours then send her to bed? I hate taking food away as she is a big girl but I want her to get better should I give the water back yesterday she was having water come out of her beak

(Crop Treatment by Azygous ) (Crop Treatment by TwoCrows )
Doing more research it sounds like doughy crop it was hard this morning and it feels like dough now she did eat at 7 and had been sitting inside since 8 nothing is really giving me a straight answer what to do she is more alert acting somewhat normal but I’m hesitant to let her outside as she drink so much water UPDATE: her crop feels somewhat normal now it’s gone down after I massaged it awhile ago she’s been in the garage more alert with the light on laying down pecking my rings and shirt

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom