Unwell chicken

Amelia121

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
Hi, I’ve just joined this forum and I am very worried about my hen.
Firstly, over the last few days her comb has become pale, she hasn’t eaten or drank, she won’t walk or move and her crop is puffed out but not full of food. I tried massaging it, she let out a few stinky burps but still nothing.. I then tried to syringe some water down her, she appeared to be choking on it !! And she started jerking her neck. I cannot see anything sticking out of her beak that could be suffocating her too. I’m very worried as she seems close to death, I’ve just ended up making her comfortable sat in the warm house on a towel. She is excreting many watery poos and seems to be breathing very loud with the occasional hiccup and gurgle noise. What do I do? Do I let her pass peacefully or keep trying to find out the problem? Help!!

also, while she has been sat inside, another chicken of mine has been making crazy noises outside, watching the ill chicken and flapping her wings. Does anyone know what this behaviour could mean?

thank you in advance!! I’m very worried :(

Last edited:
Hi @Amelia121 and welcome to BYC!

What you describe sound like sour crop, you may want to read this info for treatment advice:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?query=sour crop&tab=620

As it is the time of year, you could check her carefully for poultry mites and lice as well, as these parasites love to attack sickly birds and the mites can leave a chicken anaemic in no time sucking their blood.

Some questions for you:

How old is your hen?
What exactly do you feed her including all treats etc.?
Did you check the feed for mould or expiring date?
When did she last lay an egg?

Please post a picture of her, the accomodation (coop, run etc.).

What you describe sound like sour crop, you may want to read this info for treatment advice:

As it is the time of year, you could check her carefully for poultry mites and lice as well, as these parasites love to attack sickly birds and the mites can leave a chicken anaemic in no time sucking their blood.
Hi! Thank you!! I thought it would be sour crop, but anything I tried to feed her she would cough on. I will have a look at the link you’ve sent. Thank you!!!

You can prop her up to help with breathing issues: form some kind of ring with a rolled up towel so she can rest her frot on top and breathe easier.

Some questions for you:

How old is your hen?
What exactly do you feed her including all treats etc.?
Did you check the feed for mould or expiring date?
When did she last lay an egg?

Please post a picture of her, the accomodation (coop, run etc.).
My three hens are all 2 and a half years and haven’t laid in months. This one (paulo) probably laid three months ago. I feed them a mix of layers pellets, mash, corn, crushed oyster shells and then occasionally crushed egg shells added and eggs in different forms. The three hens have thrived since they have lived with us in the last year. I will add a photo that shows them when they transferred from the barn to ours, and then them now😌, Paulo (the sick chicken) is on the left in the bottom photo. Food isn’t mouldy or expired. They live in the eglu (plastic coop that prevents mites) I also spray it with mite spray and wipe down whenever I clean them out. They spend everyday outside in the garden and only go in the coop overnight.

Attachments

• AAABBF9E-C5A0-4D8C-9EBE-848A4C415C04.png
    AAABBF9E-C5A0-4D8C-9EBE-848A4C415C04.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
So you rescued three worn out high production hens, that would have otherwise been butchered?

You have done a very good job caring for them, as can be seen comparing their condition of then and now.

The problem with these hens often is, that they are prone to reproductive disorders (internal laying, peritonitis, ovarian cancer, water belly etc.) that often entail crop issues as well.

Regarding their diet I would recommend to stop the corn and all other treats and just feed layer pellets plus additional eggshells. Oyster shells and grit should always be availabe.

Hopefully your Paulo will recover with the right treatment for her crop issue. :fl

So you rescued three worn out high production hens, that would have otherwise been butchered?

You have done a very good job caring for them, as can be seen comparing their condition of then and now.

The problem with these hens often is, that they are prone to reproductive disorders (internal laying, peritonitis, ovarian cancer, water belly etc.) that often entail crop issues as well.

Regarding their diet I would recommend to stop the corn and all other treats and just feed layer pellets plus additional eggshells. Oyster shells and grit should always be availabe.

Hopefully your Paulo will recover with the right treatment for her crop issue. :fl
Yep! They have really flourished and this is the first problem we have had :( thank you for your help! She won’t let me pop her head up so she can breathe better :( that seems to be a problem, she’s retracted her neck and is stood with her eyes closed.

Back
Top Bottom