Unwell Chicken

lulu1642

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, my hen has been unwell for a few days. First signs were, lethargic, and fluffed up, paleness last Thursday also underweight, I took her indoors and intial thought was she needs worming. All chickens now being wormed btw. She picked up got back some colour. Over the weekend developed diaorrhea and smelly, although she was eating, drinking and perky - gave her a bath. Taken to vets today who removed a small amount of feacal matter from vent - no temperature, . She had some blood inside her but vet can find no signs of an egg so doesn't think egg bound. She is now on antibiotics, is eating and drinking well and has wormer in her food and a poultry tonic in water. Is there anything else I can do for her? Thanks in advance

How old is she?
Do you have photos?

What did you deworm with and the dose?

There's so many things that it can be, it's good that your vet performed a fecal float to see if worms or coccidiosis were part of the problem.
Hopefully the antibiotics will help make her more comfortable.

Hi, thanks for your reply. No photos at the moment. She is just over a year, started laying towards end of last season with no issues (non of my girls are laying yet but will start soon) Am in UK. Wormer is Flubenvet and dosed as per the box and started last Thursday. Vet doesn't really know where the bleeding is coming from. She had a poo earlier which was of a much better consistency with a white blob. Antibiotics are to hopefully, help prevent any infection from the bleed area or any other random bacteria and she doesn't have a temp. She is pecking about, eating and drinking, colour and feathers looking much better not fluffed or hunched, eyes bright. Was wondering if to do an egg count on her?

Hi, thanks for your reply. No photos at the moment. She is just over a year, started laying towards end of last season with no issues (non of my girls are laying yet but will start soon) Am in UK. Wormer is Flubenvet and dosed as per the box and started last Thursday. Vet doesn't really know where the bleeding is coming from. She had a poo earlier which was of a much better consistency with a white blob. Antibiotics are to hopefully, help prevent any infection from the bleed area or any other random bacteria and she doesn't have a temp. She is pecking about, eating and drinking, colour and feathers looking much better not fluffed or hunched, eyes bright. Was wondering if to do an egg count on her?
An egg count? Like a withdrawal period? If so, then your vet should be able to tell you the timeline for that.

Back
Top Bottom