Upcoming canning frenzy

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
A couple of months ago a friend got 4 doz wide-mouth quart jars for me at a barn sale. Total $18. I already had 2 dozen. Today I found 6 dozen pint jars for $30 and am picking them up tomorrow. I've got about a dozen 1/2 pint jars tucked away, too.

Silly me... you'd think I needed to can like crazy or something! What am I going to can so much of?!? I should point out that we've got a 2-person household.
th.gif
lau.gif

My honey-do canning list so far:
QUART:
1 doz tomato/spaghetti sauce
1 doz salsa
1 doz tomatoes
1 doz apple sauce & pie filling
.5 doz dill pickles
.5 doz peaches
.5 doz chicken stock

PINT:
1 doz chicken stock
1 doz veggie soup
.5 doz corn
.5 doz green beans
.5 sweet pickles
.5 doz misc apple stuff
.5 doz tomatillo salsa
.25 doz blackberry jam
.25 doz blueberry jam
.25 doz vanilla-peach jam
.25 catsup

MISC:
* small batches misc jam or chutney
* 2-3 pints sauerkraut
* more blueberry stuff?

Good thing I'm starting my "stay-cation" on Thursday.
hmm.png

You got some good deals on jars!

It's just the two of us now, too.... unless you count our spoiled Great Pyr and flock of chickens.....
big_smile.png

We always can. LOTS. So far this year's concentration has been fruit...
4 qts dehydrated blueberries, 4 qts blueberry pie filling, 4 qts plain blueberries, 8 qts frozen blueberries, 8 qts frozen strawberries, 4 qts dehydrated strawberries, 20 pints strawberry jam, 4 qts frozen peaches, 12 pints peach jam, 10 pints peach butter, 4 qts canned peaches, 4 qts peach pie filling. 15 sheets peach leather.

I found last year that I had so much canned, we still have a few jars of tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato salsa, and tomato sauce left over. We gave some canned food/fruits/jams away as presents during the winter and spring to people who are having a hard time making ends meet. Our local food pantry won't take "home canned" products, so we make personal donations. A basket of home canned on the front step might just make someone's day.
wink.png

Last edited:
Oh wow. You found a great deal!!! I sure wish I could find a deal on jars. I just bought another 12 of the wide mouth quarts...almost $10.00 UGH!! I have soooo much more I need to cann...and cant afford more jars..at that price. I also have 50 cornish cross in the brooder...and wont have enough room for them all in the freezer( we have a pig to slaughter in November)...so will need to cann them. I see me going broke on jars this year LOL ....dang.
th.gif

My dad has been buying me jars now for a year and a half. This year I finally canned him some peaches.
I've done so far :
doz 1 litre peaches
10 jars apricot butter
6 jars peach butter
5 jars peach jam
6 jars peach honey jam
6 jars zucchini pickles
and
6 jars corn relish

Thats all in the last 5 days. I still have some peaches left to deal with. Not sure what to make next.

Check out your local Craigs List or go to some farm auctions. I found tons at auctions for cheaper than the store. I sold about 100 qt jars for $15 and kept about a dozen cuz I didnt think I would need more than that and I am now wishing I had some of them back!

i wish i had enough nerve to try canning!...it just confuses me..
hu.gif
...i have just been taking my garden veggies and blanching them and freezing them..but i'd like to can stuff!!.....you wanted ideas?..what about pickled eggs? and i also love pickled kielbasa!..yummy!..Wendy

Quote:
I wish I had enough nerve to try gardening AGAIN. I do not have a green thumb. Maybe it's just a better fence I need. My daughter is trying to talk me into buiding a green house so we can have a garden that the rabbits & squirrels won't eat. I DO have plenty of eggs right now though. Do you happen to have a good recipe for pickled eggs?

...hello..no i dont..but..look under the recipe section on here or try to google it on the BYC home page...there were lots of them from people on here..and they all sounded good!...
tongue.png
...good luck!..let me know if you cant find any..i can help you more..Wendy

For those of you needing jars, Tabsmonsters hit the nail on the head! Seek out estate auctions in the Sunday newspapers and attend. I haven't bought a new jar in 20 years. I bought 5.5 doz. nice clean jars (1/2 pint thru 1/2 gal), 10 doz. lids & rings and a BWB canner last week for $2.50. Passed on a super nice Mirro pressure canner because it went for $12.00. Virtually every country estate sale will have jars/canners etc. I've picked up countless poultry items at these sales for pennies on the dollar as well. Get those hands in the air at auctions & save yourselves some money!

Back
Top Bottom